project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: retaliatory fire  (Read 4646 times)

Offline owenbevt3

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
retaliatory fire
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:14 am »
Grate game, however I need to know more about when and how your troops with retaliatory fire chose to take there shot or not, I've lost to many good (well competent) men and women to not understanding this.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: retaliatory fire
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:42:23 pm »
Search the forums for "reaction fire" and make sure you're only reading posts in the last year. Lots of talk about this, but if you go more than a year back it will probably be out-of-date.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »
RF is actually quite simple. When a soldier has active RF during alien turn and an alien spends TU in his field of fire equal to TU cost of the selected RF mode, soldier will fire. Same goes for aliens during your turn. The only exception I have seen so far are hovernets, whose fire apparently won't trigger RF, but their movement will.

This has few implications. AFAIK no weapon except pistols have fire mode with TU cost less than 8, making grenades very useful. Preparing flashbang, going in and throwing flashbang in generally safe, and flashbang exploding close to alien has high chance of removing his TU for RF. I don't know exact formula, but for some odd reason it seems they work best when they explode at cell next to alien, sometimes they seem to fail when they explode right on his cell, or too far. Grenades are also good option when you need to kill alien quick, but watch for splash damage.

Also, moving out to the side of soldier/alien before firing works too if you can do it quick enough. Aliens will try to do this frequently on close range, like when fighting inside buildings or UFOs. This can be avoided by proper positioning and multiple soldiers covering each other. Generally, watch the TU you're spending in enemy field of fire. Under 8 it's okay, if you think you'd go over 8 try to use flashbang or cover your movement with smoke grenade instead.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »
Will TU stack? If u use knife will using it more than once mean 4TU + 4TU? And what will happen if i use knife with two different soliders?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »
The TU counter for RF runs individually for each soldier, so if alien spends 8 TU in sight of two soldiers with RF on with 8 TU mode they'll both fire.

It seems like for each action taken by alien, soldier can use only one action. So for example, if alien uses 24 TU attack when in sight of soldier with 8 TU RF activated, he'll fire just once. But if he uses two separate 12 TU attacks, soldier will fire twice, IF he had at least 16 TU left at the end of his turn.

Offline owenbevt3

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:47:49 pm »
Thanks.
Now I know why the tactic of standing a shotguner right besides a door hopeing to blat anything that comes out fails - I need to stand them far enough back so that the alien can not pass through there fire ark in under 8TU.

When trying to use RT at longer range I also get the impression that there needs to be over a certain %chance of the shot hitting before they take it. Is that the case?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:43:24 am »
When trying to use RT at longer range I also get the impression that there needs to be over a certain %chance of the shot hitting before they take it. Is that the case?

You'll probably want to read Telok's test results starting with this post.