project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: freeze/crash when entering battlescape  (Read 9022 times)

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
freeze/crash when entering battlescape
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
Hi,

installed the latest dev version and started a game yesterday. beginning april about 4th or 5th mission the game freezes when the battlescape should be loaded when clicking win7 64 asks whether to end the programme because it's not responding anymore.

I started a new game today... again in april this time 6-7th mission, same problem. Is that a known bug/issue? (couldn't see anything here in the bug section). Even when reloading the game it crashes at the same point.

edit: seems that it has to do with "harvesting" missions (Erntemission)
edit2: well using 'automatic' for these missions at least keeps the game up, although it is annoying to reload until you win the battle. :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:36:43 am by DelPazzo »

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: freeze/crash when entering battlescape
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »
any news on this one?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
I think I ran into the same problem.

The mission in this save has description "A classic eastern suburban area", location somewhere in Indonesia. I will take a wild guess here, but I had few of those already, and it always was fighter or scout. But this time it is harvester, seen it fly and land there. And at previous missions, the alien spawn didn't look like it could fit a harvester.

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:56 am »
still no news? would be nice if we could at least get a feedback like, working on it or so.

I you need further information about the bug just ask.

Regarding the previous post (Sarin), for me it only happens on the mission Harvesting Mission and I cannot get past the Start / Auto box. All other missions work fine, but I'd like to play these as well instead of using auto mode, especially as they occour quite often.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:17:28 am »
I you need further information about the bug just ask.

I don't have the code with me ATM, so I can't test now. The last line of both logs is:
SV_ParallelSearch: timeout at 5000 ms, restarting

It is about assembling the map. A Random Map Assembly may take a long time to create a map on some random seeds, so it retries with another. But I'm not sure that was the real last line of the output. You may know, the OS caches file writes and if you kill the process the last 4k may be lost, so

Please reproduce the problem with forced log flushing and upload that ufoconsole.log. For this:
1) open the game console (Shift+ESC)
2) type: logfile 2
3) close console (ESC)

-geever

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »
Hi Geever,

I don't know why but after I tried the logfile2 settings the harvesting missions work like a charm. Here is the new logfile, though I cannot find anything close to logfile2, so I hope it's the right one.

Thx,
Pascal

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »
I don't know why but after I tried the logfile2 settings the harvesting missions work like a charm. Here is the new logfile, though I cannot find anything close to logfile2, so I hope it's the right one.

The log contains nothing. I asked to reproduce the problem with force-flushed logging enabled. This log doesn't help us finding the problem.

Code: [Select]
2011/05/21 09:02:04 logfile 2
2011/05/21 09:02:48 Shutdown gametype 'Campaign mode'
2011/05/21 09:02:48 music change to van_theme (from Crystan-Geosphere03)
2011/05/21 09:02:49 Wrote config.cfg.
2011/05/21 09:02:49 Wrote keys.cfg

-geever

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:32:14 pm »
well as I said, after typing the logfile 2 the problem did not occour anymore... so I cannot reproduce it ;)

Offline DelPazzo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:05 pm »
problem happened again... and i just found out that it is the same map as for Sarin: "A classic eastern suburban area". Although I've been able to play until now without any probs, since my previous post here in this thread.

Pascal

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
problem happened again... and i just found out that it is the same map as for Sarin: "A classic eastern suburban area". Although I've been able to play until now without any probs, since my previous post here in this thread.

Pascal
If the map is japan big, it has some problems that prevent the RMA from being assembled. It's in the tracker.

Offline andrew.prg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »
The problem most probably is with the map Japan Big.

In my game, it happens always when a big craft (Harvester) lands in an Eastern country, and the location is "classic eastern suburban area" or so. If I shoot down a small craft (a Scout or a Fighter), there is no problem.

I read a discussion somewhere on the web, saying that the game mistakenly uses a Japan Small map, even if there is a large landed craft. Because of that, the game cannot fit the large craft on the small map, and crashes to Windows. If, however, there is a small craft, it can fit on the small map and everything is OK.

This can be supported by the fact that even in the Skirmish mode, if I select the Japan map with a big craft, the game crashes completely the same way like in the Campaign.

I even tried to find the Japan map files, deleted them, took some Arctic map file, copied it and named the new file same as the Japan map file. It was a partial success, the battlefield assembled, there was a big snowy map, the harvester was there, but otherwise it was messy. So my stupid repair attempt after all failed.

If someone is able to repair the Japan Big (Small?) map, please help the Earth. So far, I have to ignore the harvesters landed in China and must wait till the bastards leave by themselves, taking that poor human victims to their filthy home:-)

Thanks,
Andrew

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »
The problem most probably is with the map Japan Big.

I read a discussion somewhere on the web, saying that the game mistakenly uses a Japan Small map, even if there is a large landed craft. Because of that, the game cannot fit the large craft on the small map, and crashes to Windows. If, however, there is a small craft, it can fit on the small map and everything is OK.

Map +japan with harvester worked for me just fine. Maybe U're using an old version.

-geever

Offline andrew.prg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:14 pm »
Hello,

I tried to follow your advice and installed the newest 2.4 development of the game, downloaded yesterday. My former version was a 2.4dev from April 2011.

I deleted all my saved games by accident during this reinstall (no help, I assume?) More importantly, now I cannot start the game at all, it says "shutdown", perhaps due to graphic problems. I attach the text from the ufo-console.

Previously, the game worked quite well (apart from the Japan Big map problem), is there anything new in the latest development, which causes problems?

Thanks

Ondrej

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »
Code: [Select]
Could not load environment map 0

This is the error message. It usually happen if the game couldn't find environment map file. (It should be in one of the pk3 packs).

There are some shader warnings so you could try starting with +set r_programs 0 parameters, but not sure it helps. (You can add parameters by editing the desktop shortcut for example)

-geever

Offline andrew.prg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »
Still does not work. I uninstalled everything, downloaded a newest version (ufoai-latest-win32, from 25th July), installed. Same error message. I tried to add your parameters to the command line, but same problem.

What are the .pk files and what should I do to them to get rid of my problem?

Thanks

Ondrej