project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: @ whoever did the "In today's news, all three factions have finally..."  (Read 8599 times)

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
You fricking rock.

First time I heard that I thought it was so cool.

Now I've heard it about a thousand times. It's still cool and I wish there was more samples like that.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
On the other hand, when I heard it at first, I thought it was cool too but after the 1000th time I've begun to systematically automission any map that has it. Simply put, I hate it. It's extremely annoying sound that just... keeps... looping! If it were possible to turn off in the map I'd always do a mad dash to the radio to turn it off, disregarding anything in the path.

If you want my advice, make it non-looping, or at least so that I have a minute or two of peace and quiet before it plays again. Right now samples like that would just slowly make me hate them.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Its fixed in 2.4

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Its fixed in 2.4

Oh thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!
Now I can actually start liking it.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Its fixed in 2.4
IMHO, the silence added to the sample could even be muuuuch longer...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
and maybe we should not use that sample too often (it is used on too many maps  :P)...

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I only really noticed it for the first time a few days ago. It seems that it plays whenever you have anyone in range, not just the soldier in focus

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
I cannot hear it anymore  :P

We should remove it from all maps except maybe one and add at least 5 min. silence to the sample...

Offline bluereaper75

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I like this news report sound clip. I hope that they add more news report clips as background sound effects, like if you see a radio on a table in a house and a soldier is near it. it would have to have that looping thing fixed still of coure :)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
I like this news report sound clip. I hope that they add more news report clips as background sound effects, like if you see a radio on a table in a house and a soldier is near it. it would have to have that looping thing fixed still of coure :)

This news report clip should be removed IMHO and no more should be added. You will play missions on the same maptype several times and listening the same news clip again and again (for 3+ game years) is annoying.

-geever

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
This news report clip should be removed IMHO and no more should be added. You will play missions on the same maptype several times and listening the same news clip again and again (for 3+ game years) is annoying.

Yep, thats true hehe.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: @ whoever did the "In today's news, all three factions have finally..."
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 01:14:14 am »

-geever

I agree, but with attenuation and volume perfectly working we can start to play sounds very locally on the maps - this is what should be done with soundfx like that. They should just be audible when the camera is very near to the source.

The ambience sound onthe maps has still to be worked on , it is on my todo list. ;)
Also we have new soundfx never used on any maps yet, I hope I can get to do all this soonish...

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: @ whoever did the "In today's news, all three factions have finally..."
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:20:06 am »
Actually the sound system is still a little buggy. Sound sources "behind" the cam are too loud, even if theyre further afar.