project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Finding Alien Bases  (Read 5517 times)

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Finding Alien Bases
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:33 am »
I'd just like to know if it is possible to find alien bases, and if so, how do you go about doing it? Is it like in the original X-Com where you have to send your interceptors to patrol?

Thank you.

Offline Lisander

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Alien Bases
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »
yes, send an interceptor following a supply ship without shooting it down, just clicking in the geoscape around it. after a few chases, you'll find the alien base.
by the way, in the ufopaedia says that the supply ships are unarmed and always have a strong scort of fighters, but i always found them alone. (2.3.1)

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:17:46 pm »
Well, I hope that I find it soon. I have 3 interceptor bases and a few manufacturing bases (radar-equipped) all over the world. I'm wasting antimatter with my Dragons, and the Saracens don't seen to be fast enough. I might just create a small team with a Firebird at one of my interceptor bases, but it's just too slow to catch the supply ships, and it would be downed easily if a fighter came across it.

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »
Mmmyeah, the whole finding the base is a bit of an extreme crap-shoot.

I'd like to see something in the game that actually tells the player to actively hunt for it by doing this, this or that.

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:26:56 am »
Well, I've found one when I was running a routine harvester intercept mission. I've decided that I'm going to attack it tomorrow (in real life and during the day in-game). What should I expect? Will a daytime assault give me more light, or will things still be dark? How many aliens should I expect, and what type of armament will they have? I've noticed that even though the aliens are ramping up armament, when I shoot down UFOs and run cleanup operations, a good deal of the aliens are armed with plasma pistols and kerrblades, as if they were not prepared for the attack. On the other hand, when I let these UFOs land, they come out with their heavier guns. I've been shooting down supply ships whenever I can, so I hope that that's softened them up.

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:06 am »
Another question: if I fail, will there be X number of aliens when I send my second group of troops in, or will there be X - number that I killed? Thanks.

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:06 am »
Well, I've cleared the alien base and won the game. I didn't want to send my HQ squad in, so I sent in the boys and girls from Manufacturing 2. Half of the squad was lost (heavy weapons wielding a plasma blaster, hand grenadier, and two assault), but the two snipers (advanced marksmen using needlers really; Manufacturing 2 always prided itself with taking the fight to the enemy, and the highest casualty rate), medic, and remaining assault soldier won the day. Too bad I didn't get to research particle cannon this time around (first encountered them in the base this playthrough).

Looking forward to 2.4 stable.