project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.4 IR goggles  (Read 6593 times)

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
2.4 IR goggles
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:41:39 am »
Exactly how do these work in-game?

From the research post at http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Equipment/Misc/IR_Goggles I gather that the effect is dependent on facing - though I have used them and ended up spotting stuff behind the person.

Is it a one-time effect or does the effect last with the person using them or what?

Why does the "glow" effect stay even after I move away?

What's the range?

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2.4 IR goggles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:57:21 am »
The IR goggles are a one-time effect. You click the button, the goggles scan once for body heat. Once a target has been picked up by the IR goggles, though, they'll remain visible to you until you end the turn and give them a chance to move. The scan will penetrate just about anything, including the outer hull of a Harvester. That's something that maybe needs to be changed in the future, perhaps by giving the IR scan the same limitations as throughwall weapons.

The glow effect doesn't do anything other than look cool so, while it probably should go away or only apply to the actors immediately in front of the guy using them, it's not too big a deal.

The range is kinda short, somewhere around 8 squares I think. The scan is cone-shaped, too. The field of view is narrower than your troops get when using the Mk1 Eyeball.

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:33:13 am »
Thanks. I'm guessing and hoping this information will be in the game somehow (I'm on 2.4 dev with no texts).

Funny thing is I've had the goggles work to show me aliens behind the soldier using them, as soon as he turns them on.

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
hi

there is something very interesting with IR google is that it increase contrast of alien on very dark maps (alien base) so you can get a better view of the tactical map... that the only use

Offline ETBuster

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:51:25 am »
On the darker maps it seems like if I used the IR goggles just before ending my turn the reaction fire of my units was far superior, I retried the effect on a couple missions and it remained the same.