project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some quick questions  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Some quick questions
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:56:43 am »
1. I'm probably missing something here but do laser defenses need to be equipped like missile defenses do or are they self-sufficient?
2. Is the game not supposed to notify me when research has been completed and my scientists are idle? I know the game pauses if new proposals come up or my production is halted/completed but I've missed some research completions and have lost research time assuming it would better notify me.
3. What determines how many alien items that you sell remain for purchase later?

Love the game (3rd version I've played) and keep up the great work.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Some quick questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:58:04 am »
1. I'm probably missing something here but do laser defenses need to be equipped like missile defenses do or are they self-sufficient?

Yes, they need to be equipped. You should research (and produce) Base-Defence Laser Turret.

2. Is the game not supposed to notify me when research has been completed and my scientists are idle? I know the game pauses if new proposals come up or my production is halted/completed but I've missed some research completions and have lost research time assuming it would better notify me.

It should. Check the 'Message Settings' menu on the Geoscape. Such controls are configurable.

3. What determines how many alien items that you sell remain for purchase later?

It's scripted AFAIK, not only for alien items.

-geever

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:13:56 am »

Love the game (3rd version I've played) and keep up the great work.

The default options *should* pause the game whenever you complete a research project. I've noticed that if you happen to be pushing one of the time-controlling buttons on your keyboard when any event occurs, though, it won't pause. The button will take precedence.

As for the alien weapons (And all other weapons, in fact), there's a list of how many of each item should be on the market by default. The market takes 10 days to reach that state. So if you buy up all of the frag grenades, it'll take 10 days for them to fully replenish. If you sell a couple crates of plasma pistols, their numbers will gradually drop until they're all gone 10 days later. Of course, they'll never actually reach zero if you're constantly selling more (like I am).

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21:59 am »
> The default options *should* pause the game whenever you complete a research project.
By default finishing research project is pause the game. Check your preferences.

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I checked my preferences and I do have it set to pause so maybe I've just been missing the message and sound.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42:08 am »
Also on the laser battery, once you've researched it you have to produce it then "mount" it into a ready laser battery at a base just like you would have to do a missle battery so only differences are the research & production of it vs missle.

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:10:50 am »
Thanks for the replies, I checked my preferences and I do have it set to pause so maybe I've just been missing the message and sound.

Exactly. This issue keeps popping up, though. And is really just an issue of how obvious it is or isn't. The game does tell you. The game does pause itself for you. But if you're smack in the middle of doing something, you're gonna miss that little notice thing, and if you're in the middle of a micro-managed dogfight or pushing a button - you'll miss it.

Not that big of a deal, you just have to learn to keep a sharp eye out on your Research numbers. Even if you miss it, odds are at most you'll lose a day's worth of research.

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
Alright, I have another quick question. What governs skill increase with a given weapon category. I can't remember if it's kills with that weapon type or like the original Xcom usage in that firing and missing still gains skill.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »
Alright, I have another quick question. What governs skill increase with a given weapon category. I can't remember if it's kills with that weapon type or like the original Xcom usage in that firing and missing still gains skill.
Kills with the weapon, hits with the weapon even if they don't kill. Don't remember if just firing the weapons increases skill.