project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hello and Greetz and more  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Thunderstruck

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Hello and Greetz and more
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:26 am »
Hello.

WOW !  I love the look of this game.

Long time user of Xcom UFO Defense (still have orig DOS disk and box- and Apoc too and still play them)

Heard of this game bout 2 months ago, finally got round to D-L it. After trying 2 other "XCOM"
types that seemed to fail utterly at mimicking one of my fav,greatest games.

Have always said just an updated gfx and changes in orig would be very welcome.

Though I have only played for a spell and 1 combat map. I have to ask, is this still being developed?
is there more to come of this game?

Because it seems to have issues with some things and does not seem to be complete??

Just mouse movement is hard,FPS really low but have just started it. But overall this is Killer Xcom style
if not for the quirks and stuff.

Will keep playing. Maybe even be of some help/assist in future. Get acquainted with site.

I once began a CGI short of an Xcom Video.Made a ship model and scenes etc, and made a demo test type trailer video. (though unfortunately, A viral attack caused me to lose all Models,files,data etc so I did not continue with project)

Have a look at the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTegeUisWRg

I have tons of Scores,Sfx etc from making of CGI videos. So , I think I may be able to offer something if this is still being developed and needs anything I can offer. But gimme a chance to acquaint 1st.

I always thought if XCOM play could be integrated with/into a 3d map (such as C&C Renegade game)
Have a play camera and a 1st person camera would be Holy Grail and an Excellent Game and Xcom is Perfect for this.Where you can control the game map aspects of squad members and also play in 1st person mode of each. I just now saw a Vid- XCOM Alliance it appeared to approach it this way.
Thanks Regards

made in Cinema4d
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:59:45 pm by Thunderstruck »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and Greetz and more
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:23:38 am »
Welcome,

Yes, the game is still being developed. You can read monthly development reports o out main site.
However UFO:AI is not an XCOM with upgraded gfx but a unique game based on the old XCOM games' concept.

About your performance issues: Please tell me your system specifications (CPU, RAM, Videocard, Operating System)

-geever

Offline Thunderstruck

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:43 pm »
yeah I understand it is not a clone, and read it is the Quake engine, which kinda explains a few things.

Any way WinXP- Dell Pent 4 2.8 Ghz 512 Mb RAM 1.5 Gb Virtual Memory Nvidia GeForce 6200 with all upgraded drivers.
(is old system- hopefully be getting a new custom rig in next few months.)

Is really a long endeavor to do a map. Mouse is erratic, slow,jumpy
  have not fully engaged, looking for hotkeys or possibly time settings if any etc.
But the world map seems to work okay.

switched to alt hud  due to other even harder to use, FPS running at 3.6 to 4.2

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:58:44 pm by Thunderstruck »

Offline Wodin

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
Myself I really wouldn't be interested in a first person viewpoint...lots of FPS games out there for that...not sure how it would help in a turn based game anyway.

I agree on how good this game is shaping upto be and luckly I've had no performance issues.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:57:54 pm »
Myself I really wouldn't be interested in a first person viewpoint...lots of FPS games out there for that...not sure how it would help in a turn based game anyway.

The first person view's main use was to see any possible obstructions to the line of fire that the game wouldn't notice or the isometric POV would hide.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:52 am »
UFOAI is very, very good.

I saw a few other games die, UFOAI is still going strong.

Just mouse movement is hard,FPS really low but have just started it. But overall this is Killer Xcom style
if not for the quirks and stuff.

What quirks specifically? Or ideally, pick the one quirk that troubles you the most and report just that.

And focus on it. And see how long it takes to fix it... most quirks that are reported are quite quickly fixed. :)

Offline Adzik_Master

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:15:08 pm »
Hello,

If you still have FPS problem, try change some Video settings, specially the Shaders and Shading - albo change a little bit texture quality - it should help :)

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »
You should probably get yourself some more memory for the computer and set the virtual memory settings to be system managed.

It is an old and very incorrect myth from the Windows 98 days that fiddling with the virtual memory settings will in any way improve performance on Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. It won't. It will in fact result in degraded performance in all respects. Let the system manage the virtual memory. It knows what it's doing. Really.

That alone is likely to result in a dramatic improvement of your system performance.