project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Map  (Read 12303 times)

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
New Map
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi All,

I've layed down the basics for my first map idea and tested it a bit. The theme is a high-rise tower block terror mission, I'm trying to achieve a run-down feel with it. It'll be part of a small set (for variety) until I get to grips with the RMA stuff.

I reckon I'll have an alpha version (without lighting) compiled ready for testing by Sunday..  I wouldn't mind some feedback or suggestions.
Whats the best method for uploading this for testing?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: New Map
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:33 pm »
you can zip the map and attach it here if the zip file is not bigger than 1 mb. you can upload it to a filehoster and ask in the irc channel and we can host it for you

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »
Looking forward to it. There are also default lighting settings, so whether or not you specify sun/ambient values the compiler should create a lit BSP unless you deliberately tell it not to (compiling with the -nolighting option).

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:28:54 am »
As promised!

This is the complete size of the map, I still need to decorate and light it all etc... the plan was for it was to start on the roof and work down, but I didn't realise that models can't be tied to levels.. so the landing craft was visible on all levels (not sure if there's a way around that?).
Either way, at worst I'll move the start location to the roof of the adjacent building.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:12 am »
can you please also upload the map file? also which license will you release your map under? if you use existing prefabs you have to chose gpl2 or later.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:39 am »
very cool idea - i like the layout
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:32:48 am by Mattn »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:33:08 am »
last bunch of screenshots

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:47 am »
and can we technically drop a random aircraft on the roof?

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:28:56 am »
very cool map.

hm.. one thing i am thinking about right now it: maybe better this map is with less floors (or variable floors)? this will take ages. no problem the first time u get this map, but i think i would cry when i see it often in game =).

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:53 am »
Very nice Adjuchas! I like the concept and the execution. It looks like you've taken good care with the dimensions so the pathfinding can make sense of it.

I know it's just an alpha, but there are a few suggestions in screenshots, including how to set the levelflags for a model.

And please do share the .map file as sometimes there are some construction habits that can lead to problems down the road or other ways to optimise the map's performance.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:27 am »
and can we technically drop a random aircraft on the roof?

Not at the moment although I believe vertical RMA is being worked on. And we can always go without dropships if necessary.

hm.. one thing i am thinking about right now it: maybe better this map is with less floors (or variable floors)? this will take ages. no problem the first time u get this map, but i think i would cry when i see it often in game =).

Only 8 floors are "walkable". The others are for aesthetics to make you feel like you are high up.

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:43 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the feed back, the .map file is attached on this one.

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:33 pm »
can you please also upload the map file? also which license will you release your map under? if you use existing prefabs you have to chose gpl2 or later.
It'll be gpl2

very cool map.

This will be part of a set, I'm thinking two terror maps (this one and a second larger one that has a variable second building with full interior.) and a story/important objective building, like a government building.. not sure where I'm going with that yet, perhaps a civilian research building that the aliens want rid of?

On a side note, I'm aware that you can't get back up to level 2 from the level 1 stairs (already fixed in the latest version) and that the alien metal ramp can only take one person (again, fixed) so need to report those.

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:55 pm »
Very nice Adjuchas! I like the concept and the execution. It looks like you've taken good care with the dimensions so the pathfinding can make sense of it.

I know it's just an alpha, but there are a few suggestions in screenshots, including how to set the levelflags for a model.

And please do share the .map file as sometimes there are some construction habits that can lead to problems down the road or other ways to optimise the map's performance.

Hi H-Hour, I'll have a go at modifying the landing craft.
One thing that's bothering me is that the floor textures I've used look a lot different on mine than on yours.. (see screenshot), are there updated texture paks?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »
Yes, it's certainly possible. We are in a long-term, ongoing effort to replace all of our unlicensed assets, which are mainly map textures.

Are you on 2.3.x? Several textures have been changed since then.

Ideally, you would be set up on our repository (git) and could get the latest development files at any time. But it can be pretty difficult for someone who hasn't done it before (I required a lot of help).

That said, I think it is not a major concern. Updating textures at a later date will be easy if and when you feel it is necessary. I would say keep plugging away for the moment. If you're keen to get set up on the latest development version, hop on IRC and if someone is around who can help you they will do so.