project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [FIXED] Palm leaves of the animated palm not rendered correctly  (Read 3177 times)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
[FIXED] Palm leaves of the animated palm not rendered correctly
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »
The palm leaves should be in front of the other plants, but they are rendered behind them, while the trunks of the palms are behaving correctly.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:52:00 am by MCR »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Palm leaves of the animated palm not rendered correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:09 pm »
which version are you using? is this really 2.4-dev? i thought i had fixed the sorting order for transparent entities already.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:31 am »
Yes, I am using 2.4dev & checked it again with todays version.

& yes, there have been fixes, some revisions ago transparent parts of plant models were drawn black on ATI-hardware, which now also is fixed. Also the sorting order of many plant models (e.g. the water_lilys on +forest map) now is correct.

This bug seems to only remain in the model combination palm_a-palm2/tropic-trop_leaves & palm_a-palm2/bush-trop_bush, while tropic-trop_grass is drawn correctly.

You can check out the remaining small bug best on the map +tropic bigufo corrupter.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »
maybe for tagged models - these animated palms are placed on a tag - so the origin might be used from the relative position, but not from the tag.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:31 am »
Is this that same bug I worked on again?

Dammit, After working on this myself and seeing a number of fixes committed for it, I was sure this had been fixed for good...

I will look into this yet again.

Depending on how much of a pain it is to re-fix again, it might or might not make it into 2.3.2.

I also noticed in the past that several different people committed a "fix" for it even when it had already been dealt with, so it was committed over several times by different developers, in what seemed to be a very un-coordinated manner - This makes me wonder if it had been "overfixed" into being broken again.

Once this is finally properly straightened out, I'll commit it with a note or comment to let people know that no one should effin' touch the damn thing again!

(Edit:  Or is this a different issue, that I'm confusing with the animations not lining up from before?)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:36:59 pm by Destructavator »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »
It is NOT the same bug.  ;)

The bug you fixed was that the palm leaves were attached to the bottom of the trunk instead to the top.

The bug that was fixed by me was the one where the movement of the animated palm was broken (reduced number of frames in the .md2 file from 101 to 100). Now the animation works !

Also there have been other updates (like addition of higher res textures & normalmaps or changed skinsize defined inside the .md2 file), but nothing has changed regarding the .tag file, which was left untouched since you commited your last fix, Destructavator.

So nothing has been "re-fixed" or "overfixed", check the logs !  ;)
The changes made to the .md2 files was just the animation issue & defining another skinsize for the palm's trunk to make the textures work correctly.

Btw., we talked about another palm tag issue via IRC ( http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/ufoai?date=2010-08-08#l261 ).
Maybe you remember that.
This (small) problem (palm leaves not attached correctly to the trunk) also still persists (see attached screenshot) & that is something you could correct by changing the .tag file.  ;)

I also noticed that some of the palm leaves on +oriental maps are not moving at all, but I think this is a mapping issue 'cause this is happening just with the palms placed on the fighter & scout tiles...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:22:57 pm by MCR »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:29 am »
The original rendering problem has been fixed, see here: http://ufoai.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ufoai/ufoai;a=commitdiff;h=c0756ca3031d3ea58bc04feffc5911fe5b60b5fa

Looks much better now.  :)
Thanks for finally fixing this. 8)