project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI Android port  (Read 67865 times)

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI Android port
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »
In the startup screen press the "Change device config" button, click "Downloads" -> "Additional downloads", and unselect all checkboxes.

Offline CyberSA

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 07:24:24 am »
In the startup screen press the "Change device config" button, click "Downloads" -> "Additional downloads", and unselect all checkboxes.

Thanks - eventually worked that out - lol

Anyway great port - love it.

Offline adonys

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »
I've installed it on an ASUS TF700, but the game is only displayed in the bottom left part of the screen, and no matter what I've tried (changing resolutions for example), it won't run in full screen.

anyone has any idea about how to fix this, please?

Offline raybutts82

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »
Is the sound working...anyone?

I think it runs pretty smooth on my open pandora, but when I activate sound the game crashes.

Any chances it's gonna get fixed? Or does anybody have a solution? It seems to be a common problem...

The game has still a great potential on android devices!!

Offline Graiden

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:31 pm »
Hi everyone. I'd like to try version 2.5.0.06 from sourceforge but it fails to install. Some one have same issue?

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »
I've published an update on Google Play, version 2.5.0.06. Your old savegames will not work, also it now requires 1Gb RAM (it never really worked on devices with 512Mb RAM anyway), and it will download 1Gb data from the net (it will remove old data files, and you cannot disable downloading, sorry. If you want to put your own data files - let it download once, then replace files on SD card).
There are bunch of improvements, I'm most proud of the fix for properly restoring it from the background.
The mouse is now in the tablet mode by default, you can enable relative movement/laptop mode from SDL menu.

Google Play page
Android package file

Edit: and the very first review is that it won't run on the Galaxy Tab 2, with 687 Mb RAM - the user got scared with warning dialog (SDL reads /proc/meminfo to get that number, and it may vary on different devices and even different ROMs, because some part of RAM is used for kernel and GL textures), however I'm pretty much sure it will run, the mem usage on my device was under 400 Mb even on large maps. So I've updated it to version 2.5.0.07, the only change is that it will show warning, when there's less than 640 Mb total RAM. Also, you may now disable downloads by killing process, launching it again, going to SDL menu and unchecking all checkboxes inside downloads dialog.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:38:01 am by pelya »

Offline Tempestine

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 03:30:04 am »
Hi,

Thank you for the update. Restoring from background is definately the best improvement!

Still having a problem where it crashes when loading one of my base maps when I am being invaded. I have played previous base invasion missions with no problem, but this one no matter what I do (i have turned all graphics right down and disabled sound) and it still crashes..

I also had a few issues with other maps such as skyscraper where it didnt load correctly.

Currently running on Asus tf300 with android 4.1.

Would attach a log of the crash or even a savegame but I cant seem to find them..

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, 06:35:49 am »
Still having a problem where it crashes when loading one of my base maps when I am being invaded. I have played previous base invasion missions with no problem, but this one no matter what I do (i have turned all graphics right down and disabled sound) and it still crashes..

There was a recent problem with the base map crashing when you select more than eleven soldiers to defend the base.

Offline Tempestine

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »
Only selecting 8 soldiers to defend out of 13... I'll try again with reducing the number of soldiers.

Cheers

**Edit**

Unfortunately its still crashing... Could this be a ram issue?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:33:34 pm by Tempestine »

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
I would be grateful if someone would go through all in-game dialogs, and write down all buttons/UI controls that need to be made bigger, to use with touchscreen (or just make few screenshots, here's how).
I've modified only Market, Transfer, Research and Production dialogs, and soldiers/pilots lists in the Aircraft dialog. I probably won't touch Options dialogs - it's too big, and I don't expect anyone to modify video settings anyway. I'll try to fix other dialogs, most-used ones first.

Offline stk2008stk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:38 pm »
Hi all

Just registered here to say I have tested latest Android version on me Nexus 7 and it runs great but as said the gui is really hard on touch.

I have eased one issue by ticking (confirm movement) so now when I try to rotate the screen or move it at least my men wont wonder off LOL.

I all so noticed there is no way to pan and tilt the camera we can rotate and move it but not pan and tilt or can we?.

Thanks devs this is a great game and I am sure it will get much better for Android with further updates I look forward to them.

Offline Starosta

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:17 pm »
I registered only to write comments about android version. I have v. 2.5.0.07 installed from Android Market on LG P990 (Optimus 2X) with 4 inch screen.

Immediately after start:
1. It is very dark everywhere, in geoscape and in base mode.
2. All font are very small. They should be approximately twice bigger.
3. Control is very hard. It is not touch-friendly. Very small touch area, I spent 2 h just trying to re-equip soldiers at the base.
4. Even clicking to load correct game is a challenge.

Geoscape mode.
5. Zoom work very bad. Game often starts to zoom back-forward or go to somewhere below earth surface.
6. Sending aircraft to intercept UFO is also a BIG challenge. You need to do a "double click" with fingers to a few pixel area. Nearly impossible. On average I need 10-20 attempts.
7. Going back to base-mode. The same problem. Will be nice to have separate button.

Combat mode.
7. I don't know I reached UFO one time only, and game crashed entering the combat.

General problem - control and interface is not touch oriented.

PocketUFO for Windows Mobile was much more playable.

Addition. May be it is not a bug, but: when Interceptor and dropship set to target one UFO, then after Interceptor shot UFO down, and start to return to base, dropship also starts to go back to base, instead of going to crash site.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:39:24 pm by Starosta »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »
While I fully understand, that the interface-handling problems can be annoying, you should also understand that the the game was designed for PCs and the UI was optimized for monitors - and the port lacks some devs who would implement a new UI.

I would like to mention, that You could help making the Android version better too. These issues can be solved by editing some text based script-files.

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »
As geever mentioned, the Android port is just that, a straight-up port from the PC. It needs some dedicated work to get it running well, and if you wanted to work on that you'd probably make a lot of people happy.

Offline Starosta

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 06:10:50 pm »
Unfortunately, my area of competency is far from programming at all.