project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI Android port  (Read 67841 times)

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI Android port
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:20 am »
So, we DO have destructible surfaces?  :o

*shrug*  Haven't checked how they're implemented, but you can already shoot through windows, breaking them in the process.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
Here some screenshot of the game on a Toshiba Folio 100 (Android 2.2).

As u can see it is quite nice and usable. The base layout is the only one i found watchable.

Control is horrible, i yet dont understand how to click on button, sometime it work, sometime not.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:36:53 pm by bayo »

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57:22 am »
To fix the controls click "Change device config" button at the startup, click "Mouse emulation" -> "Left mouse button" and select "Normal", or "Button", or whatever you like, you have to experiment with it a bit.
The default mouse click mode is configured for point-and-click games like ScummVM or Free Heroes 2, plus magnifying glass does not work with UfoAI 'cause it uses OpenGL (I might add some implementation using glCopyTexImage2D() for example)
Also people asked for a mouse control mode when touchscreen acts like laptop touchpad, I'll add that to SDL in a future.

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »
Hey. I've fixed most of bugs with empty textures, check out this build
When I'll have some time I'll assemble the "demo" version, with few maps and all textures resized to 256x256, so it won't require 800 Mb download.

EDIT: I've moved some statically-allocated data to heap, and managed to start the africa_small skirmish map, with this build - it occupied 270 Mb RAM after loading (and my device max capacity is near 300 Mb RAM). Texture and lightmap sizes were set to smallest, sounds were turned off.
Also I've moved game data to "Additional downloads" section in SDL menu, so you have to enable it manually, or download data by hand.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:36:07 pm by pelya »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »
Little screenshot.

There is some icon bug maybe cause is dont have the right "base" (it is a little older). And I dont start the skirmish for the same reason (iv got a "light" base without any maps). BTW, it looks like some models (maybe only animated models) embedded in the GUI are still not well displayed.

The white transparent box on the left-top is maybe a sdl_android feature.

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
I've made another build , details here

Edit: I've updated that build - now the mouse movement is relative, like with a laptop touchpad ,should be more comfortable to control it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:24:14 pm by pelya »

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »
I've made another build - nothing really new, just merged with master branch. Also GFX settings are automatically set to lowest, so it should give relatively many FPS (however the picture on screen sux).

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 01:38:24 pm »
I've finally published UfoAI to the Android market
Any comments about description and screenshots are appreciated

Offline easycheese

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »
Hey, I just found this in the market. (actually from wikipedia).  Awesome game, reminds me of a UFO game I played (not X-com).

Trying to play it on a tablet, figuring out the best settings right now.  It is a bit hard to read the text but I'm sure if I fiddle with the settings it will get better.  Working on the touch interface right now to figure out hte best thing.

But still....awesome!

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:16 pm »
I've kinda increased size of all fonts in game few days ago, some text is already out of the bounding boxes, so I cannot increase it even more, unless someone will redesign all GUI layout.
There are several GUI layouts for the battle screen, and the classic one is the best in my opinion, could you please test all layouts and tell which one is the best? They can be selected in Options->Game->HUD (and you have to restart the map)

Offline easycheese

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
I didn't get a chance to test the layouts yet but here are my overall impressions (I should note, I was testing this on a xoom w/3.1)

I'm not sure how ports work but it seems you have built in interface that just interprets what the touches mean on the screen for the game (which is run separately?)

By far the best interface would be the touch one (where it clicks where you press) but since the game is designed for a computer screen, all the buttons are too small and difficult to press (especially the arrows on text fields).  Not to mention some text fields (aircraft stats), leave out ONE stat (making you have to scroll down to see accuracy).  Ideally the interface should be less cluttered so all the stats would be available.

I ended up using the laptop method and a 2nd finger to activate a click (right click disabled) but it got very tiring holding my hand up there.

I have attached pictures to show you what I mean about the text.  It isn't a size issue, its a pixelation issue. 

To be honest, this could be an EPIC game for a tablet.  Its perfect for touch based input but it really needs to have a totally redesigned GUI.  For example, on the bases page, using Honeycomb fragments, you could have the list (aircraft, research, production) on the left with the map on the right, then when you click a on research, it would remove the map and replace it with a research interface, leaving the lists up on the left so you could select a different area after you are done with research.  ALL buttons need to be larger for touch based input and the whole interface needs to be simplified (not in content but in accessibility since you don't have a mouse and keyboard).  Again, i have no idea how this port works and if this is even possible to implement...

That being said, if you intend to continue this project, I highly suggest you limit it on the market to tablets only initially.  Once that is working well you could reduce it for smaller devices.  Going from a computer w/multiple inputs is hard enough going down to a tablet, not to mention even smaller for a phone

Oh, also, it freezes up in the campaign mode when trying to play your first battle.  It goes to the black screen, music keeps playing but nothing happens.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:17 am »
There is an issue with this game. On startup it shows me black screen, but the music is still going. Any suggestions?

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 11:09:32 am »
It really loads for ages, especially on the slower devices. Please try to set screen timeout to 10-30 minutes in settings, plug USB charger, and leave it loading for a while.
Also, if it crashes in the end, you may try to install aLogcat application and copy here it's output. 256 Mb RAM should be enough to load main menu at least.

Offline pelya

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »
New build, with all the latest changes merged, and with several GFX glitches (seems like alpha is missing on some textures).
I'll try to fix them next week, and update the build on Android Market.
Edit: I've fixed weird textures here's the new build
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:03:07 pm by pelya »

Offline zotje

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »