project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Suqqestion of a new feature!  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Suqqestion of a new feature!
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:58:08 pm »
It is amazing what 3 liters of mead, sleeples night, ADHD and triangular medicene can do! I got an idea last year (less than a month ago) and for some yet unknown reason posted it to design section as a "storyline proposal" Don`t bother to read that it is all a pure crap! Here is a refined version with a pure point: Would it be possible to research an anti alien XVI virii??? that would enable you to cure some aliens on your containment. They sure wouldn`t symphatise the XVI after knowing what has it done to theyr kind! To have aliens on your squad you  would need an alien living quarters, also as the aliens are better to do a spesific job than humans they would be worse on several others: Tamans could be good at PSI powers and poor at physical strenght, Ortnoks would be the exact opposite, Shevaars would be fast but... any ideas for weaknesses??? Also aliens on your squad would have a negative moral impact on your human soldiers since they wouldn`t sure trust them as far as they can throw them! And civilians would also panic as the coming rescuers  turn out to be TAMANS on PHALANX uniform it would be one of a kind WTF!!!!! situation  ;D

Offline Forral

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Suqqestion of a new feature!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »
Though the idea has merit, I'm not entirely comfortable with the long term implications of it. As we know them, the aliens are the enemy. They are horrible evil things that you dedicate your entire time to utterly destroying. If there was a way to somehow turn them around and make friends with them, chances are it would turn the focus of the war. Suddenly humans would not have fight for their lives but instead peace would be in grasp. You'd probably get all sorts of new age movements and organizations that claim that 'Aliens are people too' and you'd lose funding from democratic nations that suddenly decide the war is unethical because the poor aliens are just 'sick.'

Aside from that it's also like a wolf hunter using a wolf to hunt other wolves, or a Dragon-slayer riding a dragon into battle, or a communist fighting alongside a capitalist. Sure, it happens but it's a still a bit... ???

I feel UFO: Alien Invasion goes to great lengths to maintain some semblance of stylized realism in its interpretation of the setting. You can for instance see indications of this in the detail of the various UFOpedia entries. They appear to follow this sort of approach: "If aliens were to come to earth", "If this technology existed", "if this random thing was possible" - then this would be the outcome! I think suddenly recruiting aliens would betray that approach to realism, because in the event that it was a possibility it would theoretically change the game's objectives radically.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:02:14 pm by Forral »