project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New RMA: Harbour map  (Read 29226 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New RMA: Harbour map
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 11:44:31 pm »
This has come along very well. If you don't mind, when you're done I might make a warehouse or two to add some different elements into the mix. I can always make it a different assembly.

Sorry for not updating, I am busy with real-life getting in the way (buying a house right now, uff)

No need to apologize. This is a spare-time hobby for all of us.

That's right. Since the tiles are 1x1 mostly, I think there is no way around it one way or the other. But point taken, will investigate

This was about a less-repetitive ground texture. If you set a common x,y scale and make sure it is aligned 0,0 on the x,y axis, then you can be guaranteed that the texture will tile, even across entirely different RMA tiles.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:21 am »
it looks very nice to play

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 09:03:21 am »
i agree - looks cool already. it would also be cool if you could upload the map files already, we could give you more hints and tips when you can fly through the maps already. if you need space or something to upload, just let me know.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 09:42:28 am »
+1, please, share your maps.

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 12:56:34 pm »
Hi guys,

ok, I can share it. Here is the "but":
- I am having difficulty with QRadiant and the team flags: so no multiplayer tiles, but I have ideas
- no spaceship tiles
- no finished ship

Basically, it would just be ".ump" and several ".maps", probably no very cleanly done. I have checked the brushcount and performance though, and to me, it seems perfectly ok. But I am not sure how it will perform if some advanced shader stuff is calculated on the brushes.

I will definitely check it in here (only .ump, map-directory and makeSkript) after the weekend, so bear with me for another three days or so (so at least I have the chance to fix what bothers me most),

cheers,
Martin

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
If you set a common x,y scale and make sure it is aligned 0,0 on the x,y axis, then you can be guaranteed that the texture will tile, even across entirely different RMA tiles.

Fantastic! Will try and keep you posted

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:06 pm »
What is QRadiant?
Do you look to the UFORadiant, bundled with the game?

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
Sorry, meant UFORadiant of course. Each time I set team flags, everything gets garbled up. Had this more often when editiing properties of entities.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »
no problem if things are missing or incomplete. it should help us to help you - which is always good imo ;)

thanks a lot

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »
Hi Dudes,

I got no more work done and give you this infinished piece of work for your consideration.
Lame excuse but here is/was my roadmap:
- enlarge the textures of the mole
- make some tires, pollers, etc. to tie ships to
- ship: make the prow/stern midship section much better, railings, interiors, containers, car transports, ...
- make teamflags at multiplayer spawnpoints
- make the spaceship tiles etc.
- note that the spaceship tiles etc. are a copy of the "industrial" RMA (thanks!) that I wanted to rework
- clear up brushcount with nodraw flags etc

Sorry for not being able to do more. What I will certainly do is work in some ship sections in the future but right now, there is little time left and no need to keep you guys waiting.

Feedback would be very much appreciated,
cheers,
Martin

PS: the file is a "rar" but I renamed it to zip after the forum slapped me ;)
PPS: This can, if considered worthy, of course be included or reworked by any talented one out there. A mention of my name would be great

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:52 pm »
Thanks a lot.
Can you please say which name u want to be credited (with a facultative mail address)
You also must release your work under "GPL2 or later" (like any other maps, and most of the game content), write you agree with it.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:16 pm »
Thanks mameister, I'll try to take a look in the next few days. As Bayo said, we need you to actually say you release it under GNU GPL 2 or later for our licensing. And if you give us a preferred name we can properly credit you. Otherwise we'll just use mameister.

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »
Ok:

"I, Martin Meister, release the mapping work on a container harbour ('mm_harbour') as 'GNU GPL 2 or later' for licensing with UFO ALIEN INVASION."

Always wanted to write something like that. I would be honoured to be credited (all the more since I know what is left to do and I cannot give a timeframe for finishing it).

Pros:
I do strongly believe that with the odd multiplayer spawn tile (model after the "a_" tiles), this set can already be played as multiplayer.
Cons:
Since the craft and ufo tiles are so big, I do not see how the flyers can be included without creating a whole lot of empty space but I am new to this.

I thought that maybe a small ufo hanging from a crane, as if being loaded onto a ship or something might be funny ("salvaged ufo"). Just an idea.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:12 am »
Some notes.
1. No need to actorclip water. You can just use negative Z-coordinate.
2. If you want to make spotted light (like it done at w_01.map), you should not use light entity. Just set «light» surfaceflag and write some value to «value» field of surface (http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping/Lights#Surface_lights).
3. Use nodraw texture and nodraw surfaceflag to invisible planes (a_01.map — vertical and bottom sides of main floor brush).
4. a_10 is very strange. The same with a_16, also last has misaligned door texture.
5. Also, question is, do we want allow to go down to the ships, or not?
6. don`t forget about levelflags.

I can do two thing:
Fix some of ^^^^^ problems and commit this to repo, if you have no objectives. Is it ok?

Offline mameister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »
1. No need to actorclip water. You can just use negative Z-coordinate.
2. If you want to make spotted light (like it done at w_01.map), you should not use light entity. Just set «light» surfaceflag and write some value to «value» field of surface (http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping/Lights#Surface_lights).
3. Use nodraw texture and nodraw surfaceflag to invisible planes (a_01.map — vertical and bottom sides of main floor brush).
4. a_10 is very strange. The same with a_16, also last has misaligned door texture.
5. Also, question is, do we want allow to go down to the ships, or not?
6. don`t forget about levelflags.
Fix some of ^^^^^ problems and commit this to repo, if you have no objectives. Is it ok?

1) good to know
2) I know about area lights. I was not after the area light effect
3) I was too lazy, too many tiles too fast :)
4) two of the tiles I forgot to delete, they are not in any of the assemblies (the one with opened doors, I think)
5) Anywhere where a ladder/stair fits is ok with me
6) Where would you put them? The container is 96 units high, that 1 1/2 levels. I thought it coule be ok like that

I am glad if you want to fix these issues, no problem. Thanks!
Martin