project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Image: Alien Origins Ufopedia  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Image: Alien Origins Ufopedia
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:24:27 am »
Hi guys;

Sorry I've been away for so long. Ugh, engineering/university.

I've been playing 2.3.1 to get back into things, and I noticed that in the game there's no image for Alien Origins, nor is there one that I can find in the repositories. I was inspired by some Astronomy Photo of the Day pictures, so I have a couple candidates:

I modelled the radar telescope in blender, so I can rearrange any element of the scene. The astronomy image in the background is a NASA image so it's public domain. I've found another image that I actually like better (it's the milky way) but it's CC-attribution-noncommercial so I figure that'd be incompatible licensing. I can look further for a compatible image with milky way if that looks better. (I think I've found some on flickr that are only CC-attribution).

The telescope itself is untextured, crude, unoptimized, and ugly for anything but a sillhouette. See here:

I'll make all source files available if you guys like it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:30:14 am by Psawhn »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Image: Alien Origins Ufopedia
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:20:21 pm »
I like it.

Great that you are back. Maybe you also got some models for us !?

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:25:14 am »
The source files for this image can be found here:
https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~djetowns/public_html/misc_files/UFO_AI/licensed/radar_scene.blend

It's a large file (8mb) because it includes the background image.

I also have a new version I like better:

It's released under CC-BY, mainly because the image I included is also licensed under CC-BY-3.0.

I can try to do some other models, but for 2.4, TODO/2.4 says that someone else already has the crash models as a work-in-progress. I don't know what else is up-to-date, either.

Any feedback or changes are welcome. Again, as a 3D file, it's easy to reposition the dishes, clone/delete more duplicates, etc. As the file is set up, just change something, hit F12, and there you go.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:37:03 am »
i've added it to data_source and master - thanks a lot

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45:00 am »
Wow, the new version looks even better  8)

I think we have to upgrade the TODO/2.4, because we need many more models than the ones described there. I will update that today ;)

Your radar for example could be used as a substitute for the very bad quality radar model, which is used on the dam map, so if you could create a textured low poly md2 version for us, please do so. I would be pleased to integrate it in-game ;)

I will update the '3d artwork' section, but can tell you right now that we always need low poly vegetation models, but also future-style-cars & all kinds of indoor models like computers, furniture and all the things you would like to see on our maps, which aren't there yet ;)

I would suggest, that you simply show us what you've got, I am sure we can use a lot of it ;)

btw, if you have a 512x512 pixel texture for the fueltank (models/aircraft/craft_item_fuel/fuel.png) you've made, we could use that also...

Enough modelling suggestions ?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:07:07 pm »
MCR, can you please put the additions into TODO/General. TODO/2.4 should be reserved for just things that are considered necessary or very important for the 2.4 release.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »
@H-Hour: I removed the needed models from the 2.4 page. Unfortunately I am not able to include those into TODO/General, because the spam filter complains about the weblinks on this page.
It would be nice if you or someone else could put those there:

* {{open}} We need models to be used on the battlescape selling the player the world of 2084
** {{open}} Low-poly vegetation models (trees, plants, flowers)
** {{open}} Future-style car models
** {{open}} Hi-tec 2084 style computertech models
** {{open}} All kinds of furniture

@Psawhn: The model looks nice, thanks for your work. I am also having troubles with the export to md2 file format, because there are md2 restrictions - all groups should have the same material. This seems to be not the case with this model, so the export fails...
I will try to integrate the model in .obj format, which is also supported by the engine. I will keep you informed. Great to see your contributions, please continue the good work, we really need the input from good modelers like you...

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:59:38 pm »
@Psawhn: The model looks nice, thanks for your work. I am also having troubles with the export to md2 file format, because there are md2 restrictions - all groups should have the same material. This seems to be not the case with this model, so the export fails...
I will try to integrate the model in .obj format, which is also supported by the engine. I will keep you informed. Great to see your contributions, please continue the good work, we really need the input from good modelers like you...

I changed the fuel tank to have only one material. (I thought the material information wasn't even used, actually, and that it was solely up to the textures). The files are all v6b files in the fuel tank directory. https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~djetowns/public_html/misc_files/UFO_AI/licensed/fueltank/

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
Hey Psawhn.

I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgot your model and I'm still fighting to bring it in.

Unfortunately the conversion to md2 made problems again and when using the .obj file directly in-game I get gfx errors and the scaling is wrong  :P
Also this model has not the highest priority, because something's still wrong with the fueltank code and it will be removed from the release version of 2.4 anyway and will probably just make it into 2.5...

Thanks again for your work. :)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »
Hey Psawhn.
I'm still having troubles with your new fueltank model.
I managed to get it exported as md2, but your texture does not fit, because this is the uv-map I get when I unwrap your model:

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »
btw., could you share the satdish model ?
It would be nice as replacement for our radar model, which has a very low-res texture.