project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base invasion  (Read 28945 times)

Offline SpikeOnUr6

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Base invasion
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
A bit off topic...
I had a base with laser and missile battery - but with no troops - that was suddenly destroyed by aliens, no sign of them arriving in that area before it happend.... how the hell should they have reached my base???

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:21:40 am »
A bit off topic...
I had a base with laser and missile battery - but with no troops - that was suddenly destroyed by aliens, no sign of them arriving in that area before it happend.... how the hell should they have reached my base???

Did you equip the defence systems?
Also aliens can attack without UFO activity if they built bases.

-geever

Offline SpikeOnUr6

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:12 pm »
Yes, the defence systems, both laser and missiles, were active...

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:17 pm »
With ammunitions?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 09:02:48 pm »
With ammunitions?

For base defense weapons you don't manage the ammunition anymore. But my other guess still stands: maybe they came without their fancy UFO.

-geever

Offline SpikeOnUr6

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »
at the moment, is it possible to defend a base having troops but not a transport craft?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:49 pm »
It should.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »
at the moment, is it possible to defend a base having troops but not a transport craft?

Yes it is. You can equip and fight with the first eight soldier on the base if attacked (speaking about 2.3+).

-geever

Offline SpikeOnUr6

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »
Ok, thanks a lot guys! This game is a very good job ;)

Offline Sepelio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 12:20:42 am »
Personally I find base invasion missions overly tedious. The bases are huge and it takes far too long, especially when you can't save. Hunting for that last bloody alien has got to be the most boring part of the game.

Offline gl0w

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 01:39:20 am »
in 2.3 I just hire 1 soldier for each base.  Don't even need guns.  Just auto the base defense, and you'll win almost every time.  I don't think I've ever seen a loss.

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
Personally I find base invasion missions overly tedious. The bases are huge and it takes far too long, especially when you can't save. Hunting for that last bloody alien has got to be the most boring part of the game.
IR goggles help a lot, but yeah... It's a bother...

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 12:56:30 am »
I draw a 5*5 grid on a piece of paper and keep track of where I've been through, then just send one guy through each square with react fire. Yeah - it takes an hour or more.

My vote would be to just plain have the bases max out at 4*4, unless you can make the alien AI start actually sweeping the base offensively.

Also - workers, pilots and scientists should be present as civilians and possibly die, and all have some stats so you could use them if not enough soldiers were around (think 1/2 of a trained soldier).

Mainly it's an AI problem - they're not aggressive and don't move much if there's no enemy units nearby.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12:12 am »
in 2.3 I just hire 1 soldier for each base.  Don't even need guns.  Just auto the base defense, and you'll win almost every time.  I don't think I've ever seen a loss.

This (the auto mission trick) may work for the moment, but will soon change.   ;)

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

And that is simply wrong and shouldn't be that way. It may not be a bug, but it's certainly a design flaw.

Absolutely. I'd love to see a larger amount of aliens per mission overall, and especially in later base defense missions - coupled with a more aggressive map-wide AI that actually has the aliens *drum roll please* ...HUNTING YOU.

Or smaller bases. Or redesign the base map tiles to all, every single damn tile - have a clear path E-W and N-S. There shouldn't be a single base tile that you'd need to take a tortuous path through, especially given that there are sometimes four levels to the damn thing. I'll clear a section of the base and then wonder - did I really clear that bathroom or the downstairs portion - or what if the alien was right on top and then dropped down below my sweeping skirmish line?? One single little unlucky miss with an alien in an out-of-sight spot could conceivably lead to having to sweep all three levels of the base, AGAIN.

Unlikely, but could happen if an alien got stuck demoralized and didn't move much right as you sweep past.