project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Sniper rifle as accurate as a slingshot!  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Sniper rifle as accurate as a slingshot!
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:15 pm »
I hate one thing about the "sniper"rifle aliens reactionfire with PLASMAPISTOLS! Hits my sniper, i retaliate and the "sniper"rifle misses by a lenght of a HARVESTER! Come on! Pleace could the sniper be at least NEARLY as accurate as lasers??? Ir is hardly a SNIPER rifle on its current accuracy! (My sniper had accuracy of 31) I mean that 12 - 18 TUs for a shot that is a guaranteed miss is a high price! And because of thar i usually replace the snipers on my squads with something accurate, like shotgun! (yes that is sarcasm you can laugh now) But the Question is: Will the sniper get an accuracy buff???

Offline ZombieTickler

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper rifle as accurate as a slingshot!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:06:56 am »
::looks left::
::looks right::

Have you ever heard the concept of unanswered prayers?

Seriously though...Sniper Rif's acc is a joke compared to a laser rifle. Better to get into medium range with a assault rifle to full auto or 3 burst fire.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:45 am »
Unfortunately, right now SR is crap, gotta agree with that. But it is not that much about accuracy, SR gets a good accy bonus from crouching and using aimed shot...my snipers had a decent hit rate in the beginning. What truly sucks tho is damage. On standard diff, a hit from SR won't kill even unarmored taman, so sniper need at least two turns to get a kill alone, and that sucks hard. Probably best thing working as sniper rifle at the beginning is MG, and heavy lasers are total replacements of SR.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:10 am »
What truly sucks tho is damage. On standard diff, a hit from SR won't kill even unarmored taman, so sniper need at least two turns to get a kill alone, and that sucks hard.

Which is strange considering the caliber of the thing: a massive 20mm, size usually reserved for old antitank and modern antimateriel rifles. Heck, the UFOpedia actually says it's an antimateriel rifle.
For comparison, the M82 Barrett antimateriel rifle, which can destroy pretty much anything short of actual tanks, has a caliber of 12.7mm.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »
20mm caliber is currently used in only handful of heavy anti-materiel rifles, and those are impossible to fire from standing or crouching position. SR performance suggest its caliber is most likely .338 Lapua...even if .50 would be used, it is unlikely that it would score non-fatal hit to unarmored target at short distances....

Offline TallTroll

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
I think the sniper rifle works OK, but you have to stick with it. Starting non-elite soldiers can't hit much of anything, with anything except flamers. Once a soldier has some sniper skill and accuracy upgrades, aimed shots from crouch are pretty reliable hits. If you try and use it as a single shot assault rifle, well, yes, it sucks

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:35:01 am »
Are we talking about 2.3.1? In that, the soldiers start with such crappy stats they are usually useless. You need to pick and choose who gets what weapons and snipers aren't the easiest guys to come by.

In 2.4 the soldier stat range is 25 - 40 to start with, so it's much more reliable from the get-go. You generally do need two hits to kill anything and snipers aren't noted for running a whole lot if they want to squeeze off two shots per turn.

Offline jerm

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:00:03 am »
I've gotten 1-hit KOs on armored Tamans. BOOM-HEADSHOT???  8)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:30 pm »
More like Boom, squishie down.
Even with the natural resitance, a Taman doesn't really fare well against a bullet big enough to take on tanks and aircraft.

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:53 am »
i guess after a crash, aliens are wounded.... and now i've played a little with the game i'm having snipper with 36 TU. 2 rounds, and it keeps increasing. you have to "train" your soldier making them fire kill a lot.