project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: soldier camouflage: change in a single action  (Read 4311 times)

Offline xray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
soldier camouflage: change in a single action
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
Hi,

What a great game is this. Still, a minor improvement is possible. When in supplying the equipment to the soldiers, you can change the camouflage outfit. The funny thing is
that you have to switch camouflage for each soldier. Though it makes sense from the equipment point-of-view, I cannot imagine a situation where the camouflage of the soldiers
is different. Then again, it probably doesn't matter in combat what camouflage the soldiers wear.

On a more generic level. There are more items that could be added group. So you could add an option on the screen toggling wether the equipment you drag to a soldier is for one soldier or for all soldiers. If on, then dragging a grenade to a soldier will equip all soldiers with a grenade etc.

Regards
x-ray

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: soldier camouflage: change in a single action
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »
If camo doesn't matter for the game engine (I don't recall noticing ways in which it did, but then I wasn't looking through the entire source tree, nor was I doing so that recently), then you could safely use it for rapidly differentiating between your own troops -- e.g using different color schemes to indicate role (grenadier, flamer, designated marksman et al).

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:52:05 pm »
If camo doesn't matter for the game engine (I don't recall noticing ways in which it did, but then I wasn't looking through the entire source tree, nor was I doing so that recently), then you could safely use it for rapidly differentiating between your own troops -- e.g using different color schemes to indicate role (grenadier, flamer, designated marksman et al).

The Visibility system is not yet implemented.

-geever

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
Before the visibility system gets implemented, the equipment system should get reworked to make it *way* easier to handle... Also, the "recon/intel" system, notifying the player of mission conditions, too...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:09:58 pm »
Before the visibility system gets implemented, the equipment system should get reworked to make it *way* easier to handle... Also, the "recon/intel" system, notifying the player of mission conditions, too...

COME ON, GO FOR IT!

Start contributing instead of just complaining. It helps much more!

-geever

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »
When I can, I do -- I proposed solutions in a few cases. Thing is, the only usable skill I can contribute here is algorithmization. But looking at the source, most of the stuff is undocumented. I have some experience with AIs, as well as other related things, but it is in specialized languages/environments which are hard to translate into structured languages like C which I have next to no experience with.

Still, I have been making notes (have such a habit) regarding what and how can be done differently if I'd handle the same task. I don't know what resources are available, though. A few of the options are dependant on what inputs I can get from the system (FoV, especially altered FoV for example).

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:21:57 am »
I second the demand, even if camouflage is not taken in consideration by the Visibility System yet.
But have it optional, as a checkbox or a toggle button, so that you can have different camouflage if you want so.

Next to the camouflage menu (see screenshot), add a checkbox with a "Same for all" label.

Then, somewhere in the equipment function, add, for example, just before changing soldier and/or before exiting to aircraft screen :
(soldier "k" being the current soldier)

if (camoForAllchecked == TRUE) { for (j++) {soldier[j].camo := soldier[k].camo};}

If the others soldiers are out of range, make the camoForAllchecked a more global variable, and add the line just after returning from the equipment function.

Alternatively, add another property to the object "soldier", then :

if (soldier[k].camoForAllchecked == TRUE) { for (j++) {soldier[j].camo := soldier[k].camo}; soldier[j].camoForAllchecked := TRUE;}

... that's the idea.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:28:45 am by Rodmar »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:29:51 am »
We don't have any camouflage for our new soldier models in 2.5-dev. Maybe we'll have them again if we get great camouflage skins for them.