project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: High-Detail pilot model for video cutscenes / Intro  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
High-Detail pilot model for video cutscenes / Intro
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:51:26 am »
I decided to put this in a different thread from the new Stiletto model, to keep things more organized.

I've gotta say, the new Blender has LOTS of improvements that make modeling much easier, and using them I've found a neat trick for texturing a 2D image over curved surfaces, wrapping around in a way where there aren't any jagged seams where the polys connect, unlike my past models.

In this case, I've used this trick to apply folds and wrinkles to a solid blue color to make fabric for a pilot model.

I still plan to add a lot to this high-detail pilot model, and do more work on the helmet as well.

Besides adding straps, buckles, and flight gear, what color should the flight suit fabric be?  In this example it was done with a light blue color (not exactly sky blue, but it's just an example).

I'm not really sure what color military air force groups use for their flight suits.

Side note:  If needed, I can eventually also make a low-poly model for use in-game - I noticed we already have a simple pilot MD2 in the trunk but last time I checked (some time ago, I admit) it didn't have too much detail.  Thoughts?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: High-Detail pilot model for video cutscenes / Intro
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:05:03 am »
Some more work, and two color variations - Which one (or what, if something else would look better) do you guys like the most?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: High-Detail pilot model for video cutscenes / Intro
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:07:03 am »
The folds don't really look like folds because they don't follow any pattern. They should be used to give shape to the body, but at the moment they are just random.

For color, I like a bit of color, but the blue should be a more grey-ish blue, I think.