project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: new +forest map and tiles  (Read 15817 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: new +forest map and tiles
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »
Cool, I like the new tiles. I think that ground texture is too saturated, but I can change the texture later. Here's a long list of suggestions (many in attached images):

1. The trees are grouped together with similar trees too much. Ideally all the different kinds of trees/bushes should be spread around the whole map so that it looks like a diverse forest. One of the attached images shows how I would re-arrange one of the tiles. To do this right, you will need to edit the existing tiles as well. My recommendation would be to experiment on a very large tile (mabe 1024x1024) to get the right mix of trees/bushes, and then try and replicate that mix across all the tiles.

2. I like the smooth hills you've put in. I wish there were more of them and larger ones. Right now they're just a lump sticking out of an otherwise flat surface. It would be great if you had large hills across 512x512 or even larger, rather than packing them into small little mounds. I think it will make the map a lot more tactically interesting, and will remind me of the good ole X-Com hills.

3. There's an image showing a rectangular rocky outcrop. I like the idea of having a different texture up top, like grass, but the rocks are too rectangular.

4. In another attached image (next post), you can see that the tree shadow gets cut off at the edge of the tile. This is another reason why larger tiles can be better than smaller tiles. For instance, if I had to fix this in the repository, I would not want to have to open 50 tiles to figure out which one it is. With so many very similar tiles, it will be a real pain to maintain.

5. I highly recommend you don't rotate the ufo like you have with the fighter. First, you're missing the weaponclip brushes for it so those would all need to be recreated or imported and rotated to match the UFO exactly. Second, you end up with tons of wasted space around the ufo, places where the player feels like he ought to be able to go but can't. All of the UFOs are designed to fit in with the tile system, and they don't fit well at an angle. And third, you have some places in the UFO where a soldier overlaps the UFO's walls.

6. I like your new building, but the roofing kind of looks like you just got tired of it. I drew just a few lines to suggest more interesting roofing and a deck.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
More images

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 08:09:19 pm »
Last batch of images

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »
Big thank you H-Hour
How is that saying in German: I didn't see the forest for the trees.

I'm pleased the maps are working as planned on your end, with the aliens randomly deployed on the map.

1. tree mix is something I'm experimenting on. And larger tiles too. Final version will have that.
2. The same goes for the hills. They are a recent addition and will be in nearly all map parts at the end.
5. Sorry, but the UFO tile is the original, except for the randomspawn. And in the fighter tile I rescued an alien from the top of a tree.
6. my old enemies the roofs :-). Of course I need to change that.

tilli

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:22 pm »
Also, tilli, could you remove the envmap on the river texture from the forest material file? I know you didn't put it there, but if I remove it in repository it will probably be overwritten when we commit your versions. It's this code at the top:

Code: [Select]
{
material tex_nature/water
{
envmap 0
}
}

Not sure why it got put in there in the first place, but it doesn't look anything like water reflection.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:39 pm »
the next version, but still WIP
I reworked the tiles, changed layout and vegetation. Lots of small things.
All tiles now have an indicator, so I can identify them faster (final version will have them deleted).

http://rapidshare.com/files/440815483/newforest.zip

Please backup your files (forest folder, forest.ump, forest.mat) beforehand and make sure you put the new files in the correct folders.

Can somebody please check a bug I might have found with the randomize option. Just to make sure it is not my installation (2.4 dev IA 32 Nov 2 2010 Win32 Debug build 1288676501).
At my version this bug is only found in the campaign mode. Aliens get assigned randomly, civilians also. Phalanx troopers behave strange. The actors are not randomized, but the weapons loadout. Meaning my sniper always starts at the same position, but has a different weapon from another actor each time. It looks like weapons only are randomized.

tilli

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:39 am »
I dont understand your bugreport. But please open a ticket for this and we can have a look. It will get lost in this thread.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:10 am »
rapidshare is evil. And anyway it is deleted now. Can you upload it somewhere else?

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 09:43:26 am »
sorry for my technological backwardness :-)

maybe this link will work better???:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2bxkez0g19n2xny

mattn: first I would like to have independent confirmation of my bug(?), then I will open a report.

tilli

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:08 am »
Yes, that`s better. I`ll look to it, and try to say something for you )

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 11:34:52 am »
mattn: first I would like to have independent confirmation of my bug(?), then I will open a report.

you maybe won't get that from a dev until you post a ticket ;)

Offline dodon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 12:11:37 pm »
There is a hole in the ground in front of the crashed scout, maybe you can fix this while you work on the other forest tiles.

Can somebody please check a bug I might have found with the randomize option. Just to make sure it is not my installation (2.4 dev IA 32 Nov 2 2010 Win32 Debug build 1288676501).
At my version this bug is only found in the campaign mode. Aliens get assigned randomly, civilians also. Phalanx troopers behave strange. The actors are not randomized, but the weapons loadout. Meaning my sniper always starts at the same position, but has a different weapon from another actor each time. It looks like weapons only are randomized.

Yes, the equipment is randomized. Thats actualy one of my snipers with the assaultrifle in the screenshot.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 12:25:26 pm »
thanks for the confirmation of the bug, dodon.

and also thanks for finding the hole in the ground.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 05:26:54 pm »
it looks like you build your rocks with the csg tools - is that correct? better build them manually - the csg stuff can produce a lot of problems with tiny or big windings.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 08:02:16 pm »
it looks like you build your rocks with the csg tools - is that correct?
If you mean the brush -> cone and the brush -> rock then that is correct. 

By the way, the hole with the scout is original, I haven't touched that tile except for the randomspawn flag.

better build them manually
Truth to be told, I haven't really figured out how to do a 21 sided object in uforadiant.