project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Your least favourite map and why?  (Read 4283 times)

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
Your least favourite map and why?
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »
"+shelter" made me want to stop playing yesterday after running around looking for an alien without finding him and realizing I'd have to check every one of 6 staircases and 2-3 downramps. Blaster doors are nice, but ...damn that's a long way around and having to check every behind every one.

"+forest" (might have the name wrong, newish map with walkable-on water on a coastline) is awesome, but the starting point for the aliens mean they get stuck in a little alcove at the bottom of the main big cliff. I think I just learned how to take screenshots with my non-standard iMac keyboard, so next time I'll try to get screenshots up.

I'm hoping to join the mapping team eventually, and to start off with just a nice vanilla desert thing followed by just straight up forest.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Your least favourite map and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:06:31 pm »
Bridge, Fighter crash, oriental small/medium/big, big city. I get a lot of those first three because I build my main base in mediterran, so a lot of UFOs fall in Sahara and middle east areas.

Offline Kobura

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
Yea bridge was nice the first thirty times...

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:57:58 am »
Which could be fairly simply fixed if someone took that map, re-arranged the spawn points a few times and called it 3 new maps. Then cut it up again, re-arrange the bits and maybe make the fight happen on the bridge.

The number of maps will increase as this project keeps going, the issue for me is the maps that simply don't work very well.

Offline Vassilios de Veritas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »
Big City... seriously, multilevel parking lot? Wow, that city is huuuge! Also lags, lags everywhere.

marc

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 01:06:33 am »
"+shelter" made me want to stop playing yesterday after running around looking for an alien without finding him and realizing I'd have to check every one of 6 staircases and 2-3 downramps. Blaster doors are nice, but ...damn that's a long way around and having to check every behind every one.

Not sure if you've already figured this one out, but what sometimes happens with this map is that an alien spawns one level above the truck parked in the large central room on the cargo lift (if the lift is in the up position).  The only way to see him is to use the IR goggles, and you'll see the guy one level above seemingly past an invisible "ceiling".  You can then target him using the bolter rifle, or any other penetrating weapon (might take a while if he's a medium armored ortnok to get the kill).  I believe this bug has been found (I think it was geever?), so it should be fixed with the next release.  I would've -hated- to have aborted/restarted that mission if I hadn't been lucky enough to find the floating bugger.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:36:26 am »
I believe this bug has been found (I think it was geever?)

Yes, it has been fixed in master so it will not appear in the next release.