project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Sugestion for Early Progression  (Read 2444 times)

Offline mazeut

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Sugestion for Early Progression
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »
I would like to suggest few changes to the first few turns of the game to improve story progression.  The game currently just drops you into the world, make a base and go.  Beyond the opening cut scene the game doesn't give you the feeling of being connected to earth, your just an autonomous entity with big guns.

To change this I think you should open the game with a few missions before actually constructing a base.  The theme of those missions would be the formation of Phalanx.

Basically, this would be a series of 3 to 5 tactical missions that take place just before the formal installation of Phalanx (and before you build your fist base).  The basic plot: a paramilitary organization of some sort (arms dealers, separatists, terrorist, etc) got wind of the formation of Phalanx and doesn't trust the defense of earth to them.  They organized a raid on a U.N. facility and managed to grab what few alien artifacts were captured after the initial attacks.  The have moved the tech to their base of operations and are beginning to set up their own Phalanx like organization.  This organization is little more than a high tech protection racket and must be stopped.

Instead of doing the missions from Phalanx HQ (it doesn't exist yet) players would be based at a U.N. facility they don't control.  Players are given the starting Firebird and some starting cash to hire and equip soldiers and a pilot.  This gives an added tactical aspect to the opening of the game as players can choose the early load out of the troops but must do so within the limits of the money provided.

Mission progression could go something like this:

Raid on a safe house to gather intelligence on the enemy.

Attack on a Training Ground.

Capture an air strip to get flight data from enemy planes for next target.

Attack on power plant to cut base defenses.

Attack on enemy base.

Victory moves you on to the geoscape to build your Phalanx HQ and start the game proper.  It could also be used to give a vague sense to the player that the enemy was somehow working with the aliens, foreshadowing the virus reveal.

Basically this is a series of missions one after the other, introducing the player to the turn based aspect of the game.  You could also use this as a place to introduce game concepts like capturing a specific enemy or planting a bomb, etc.  This also lets players invade a small base built with the same tiles they will be using in the future for theirs.

Offline LuckyLindy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Sugestion for Early Progression
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »
I would like to add that the campaign really drags on during the deconstruction phase of the first primary ufo's.  Some new missions and maps have been implemented, however, I suggest a new "heavy" fighter ship and/or species with the direct story line arcs with several story arc driven missions.  Being more specific, while the story arcs may not need to actually support plot, they can be used to drive a small three or four mission sequence such as a Phalanx fighter is shot down.  A rescue mission is generated, followed by discovery of alien small prosessing base in an abandoned warehouse or factory, followed by a counter attack resulting in a downed ufo whereby a wounded alien is recovered that needs to be research with the interrogation data having some twist towards the plot.

Adding a "heavy fighter" with several new maps and then adding several unique terror missions that may add some twist to the plot will go a long way towards improving the plot generation.  Keep in mind, that I have played this game for a couple of years, but right now I am in the grind for building the first alien/phalanx ship.  I had been in the habit of downloading the new developer builds and starting over.  Graphically, this game is superior to anything like it in its genre.

Lastly, this needs to have an end with perfection of the plot, maybe with the suggestions above.  Then work on a sequal.

Thank you, a humbled Phalanx soldier.