project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ufo art (small alien fighter)  (Read 4450 times)

Offline mazeut

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Ufo art (small alien fighter)
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:49:30 pm »
I was told in my fist post that painting style art might not fit in with the current style being used for the pedia (photos and renders) so I thought I would test the waters so to speak.  I started working on this originally for an orbital activity submission but I'm having a hard time finding a view of earth fitting the angle of attack on the ship.

This is not finished, quite alot of detail missing still.  The ship is done in gimp so its all layers and can be modified, scaled, moved, format (ie pedia sized) etc without much trouble.  The body style isn't right but its my first real atempt at a non organic structure (more used to creatures and people).  The background image is a public domain photo I found.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Ufo art (small alien fighter)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:38 pm »
personally i love your "painting" style much more than generated one, but generated is easier since you can use an in game model and add back ground.
still i prefer my ufopedia to look "old school" style good memories.

as for your work i like it, but i dont think that this how the 'small alien fighter' looks like in the game, or does it?

EDIT: i would also like to point out that there are some pictures that are not on the todo list that doesnt require generted art.
for example something that i have already requested to add optional events, because dot showing up on the map its not  like getting an event and i think that back grounds for research event/base defense/ terror mission etc has more artistic freedom than specific ufo entries.  [/end rumbling]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:36:35 pm by mor2 »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:09:32 pm »
Nice, i like it. I always prefer Art.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:25:07 pm by Crystan »

Offline mazeut

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
personally i love your "painting" style much more than generated one, but generated is easier since you can use an in game model and add back ground.

Thanks for the compliment.  Do you think this is to jarringly different then the current art work?  I'm wondering if I should continue working on something like this, try a different style or maybe just see what I can do with textures.

as for your work i like it, but i dont think that this how the 'small alien fighter' looks like in the game, or does it?

It doesn't exactly look like that but its just a collection of layers at this point and alot of them are place holders to keep perspective.  Only the front half is close atm and even that can be redone fairly simply.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »
There are a couple of problems:

1) You should be working towards the standard size: 438x1000

2) It doesn't really look like orbital alien activity. If you read the text in the wiki, it's talking about activity that would seem to me to take place outside of earth's atmosphere, and it's talking about developing weaponry to shoot it down. I think the imagery needs to convey this in some way.

That said, the artwork is alright and I could see something like this being used. I like how you have combined the paintin with a good background photo.

I think there are probably a few "anatomy" issues (if you can call them that) with the UFO, but I'm not enough of an artist to know what to tell you. Perhaps Origin will know better since he seems to be a proper artist and not just a pixel hack like me.