project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Partial Visibility  (Read 3541 times)

Offline s9ilent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Partial Visibility
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »
Just some idea to add to your proposal for partial visibility

How about 2 (or several) states of visibility

e.g. No visibility
Poor visibility - you can see "something" could be civilian friendly alien or animal.
Medium visibility - You can see the target, but might not be able to see full detail
Full visibility

And you can play around with different combinations of outcomes. e.g.
-Can see "what" they are (human, not human)
-Can see which direction they are facing (e.g. if they are not moving in the dark, they could be facing any direction)
-Can see what they are holding onto/wearing (Perhaps you just see "small weapon, big weapon sort of thing and not the exact type?)

Factors that could affect this include
-Moving makes it easier to see
-Shooting
-Goggles (Improve sight range, but cap these extra visibilities, e.g. You can see further with IR goggles, but you can't see what race or equipment they are holding)

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Partial Visibility
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »
FOV fog factor is really awesome, so yeah, i agree with you, but it's not my choice to add it.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:07 pm »
i agree, but  i dont think that its possible to work all those visibility mods with the models
but maybe if we use Full visibility and No visibility as before, direct line of sight.

and add "partial visibility" to indicate that there is someone is there, but that you dont actually see him, it may work.
the idea is that you dont actually need to see to know someone is there (you hear him, you feel his psy crap or whatever), you'll get a poted icon and then roll in a grenade to keep it quite or leave him a mine to walk over..

btw why dont we have "claymore" like stuff?

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:03:32 am »
File under 'nice to have if done well' but 'massive can of wyrms'.  For instance, there are obvious questions of how to make this work with AI; how long to leave various contacts visible; when to merge contacts as 'evidently' the same (whether correctly or not...); and so forth.

Offline s9ilent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:31 am »
@Lew Yard,
w.r.t AI, I see the following scenarios:

1.  The player see's partial contact. No AI required.

2. I don't know if civi's react to hostiles or friendlies but presumably they just run away from anything that is unknown. (or do they..)

3. Aliens see partial contacts. They are obviously seeing partial contacts of their own guys, so the partials are civilians/soldiers. In either case, they are treated as hostile.
-Now this third case is the only scenario where some AI is required. Generally, I think a partial contact should be treated in the same regards as a human soldier. This is the easiest to code and it makes logical sense. (And if you wanted something more complicated: I'm not too sure how the AI system currently works, but presumably there are some "macro" level settings (aggression?) and some if/case statements. Presumably the conditions use against partials should be somewhere between vs human soldiers, and civilians)

w.r.t How long to leave a contact partially visible for
If you can see them then their partially visible, until they are become more/fully visible, or they become invisible.
The idea is not to provide a "ghost" of where they where, but to provide information of where "something" is right now. There is no concept of merging, as you can not have 2 objects on the same tile. For simplicity the position should be 100% accurate, the idea is you can see "it", you just don't know what "it" is.

As to how you would actually display it. Perhaps either something iconic (e.g. yellow cylinder with a question mark??), or something ambiguous (black/camo humanoid with a question mark?)

----

Another reason for inclusion is that it provides a positive and a negative effect for using goggles. (+ partial sight distance, - fully visible distance if any)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »
Maybe you're interested in the official Visiblity Plans before continuing...

-geever