project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New design for Stiletto interceptor model?  (Read 18874 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New design for Stiletto interceptor model?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »
cant u ude the old model on a map (maybe a plane-cementry) or in the ufopedia (history of the stiletto)?

I prefer not. The idea is to improve the quality, not leave it hanging around.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 04:32:54 am »
Alright, I *finally* got the new Stiletto model to import into the new version of Terragen 2, an updated version that handles OBJ models differently.

I had a lot of trouble initially getting the SparrowHawk rockets to mount on the aircraft model and look right - The new model has so many funky angles they really wouldn't go on anywhere and not look like crap until I fudged things a bit by altering the racks to extend out from the body.

Now I need to work on getting some man-made structures in the scene, and we can *finally* have some usable new videos.

For a full intro I'll still need a cockpit and pilot model though.  Do we have a good pilot model somewhere since I've been out?  I could probably do a cockpit, complete with animated display screens and such.

Offline Prinegon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 08:09:02 pm »
I don t like the weaponary placement at all.
As one can clearly see in the first picture the rocket batteries are mounted directly under the manoeuvering nozzles. I don't think its the best idea to store the weaponary in the jets steam.

The second problem is, the suspension doesn't look right. Since the color of the suspension is mismatched to the jets colors you can clearly see they are added afterwards. especially the lower girder seems to be as thin as brass. I'd like either to match the color of the suspension to the jet, or to give them a warning color (like red or yellow).

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »
The model looks beautiful, especially against the landscape. Excellent work Origin and H-Hour!

But I have to agree with Prinegon that the Sparrowhawk racks look a bit strange (though looking at the model, those two weapon slots don't seem to have any obvious good spots, so these racks will have to do or we need another set of wings). The racks don't seem very sturdy and if that back jet is supposed to be the manoevering jet that enables all the stunts Stiletto is supposed to be able to do the support beams seem to be in the way.
If I may suggest, you could try putting slightly larger beams a bit forward, at the same spot the fixed jets are. One beam to the small gap and another in the jet. They're still be in the way but at an angle I don't think will be as bad for manoevering.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:41:16 pm by Hertzila »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:19 pm »
Nice!!!! I like the idea that the rockets are mounted on wings. But i think the rocket pods are too big and thats why it doesnt look right. What about if we integrate the missilepods into the model and as soon as they ready to fire they flip open - like the weapons of the RAH-66 Comanche?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:14:33 pm by Crystan »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »
I actually had to try a number of times in placing the rockets before I ended up with that - I had a half-dozen other versions that looked much worse.  I'll try moving them forward though, as Hertzila said.  I'll also take Crystan's idea of shrinking them just a little bit.

They can't go directly on those downward-angled wings though - They look awful like that, and the wings are angled in so many funky ways they don't go on right anyways.

BTW, I was finally able to import a city from a link H-Hour mentioned, a huge model with no apparent license restrictions (I'll double-check at some point though, just to be sure).
The only big issue with the city model is that the base is angled on an uneven slope, making parts of some ends fly up into the air.  I really had to fark with scale and size settings quite a bit to avoid having it half-buried in the terrain, or too high up, with an astonishing result:  Ye Olde Fantasy-Wonderland Magical Floating City-in-the-Sky.  (Ahoy!)   :P

(Sorry for not having a screenshot, I unfortunately didn't save the render of the "flying" city in the clouds.)

Anyways, to get the result in the pic attached here I had to edit the city mesh and extrude downward the lowest edges, making the streets look like they are held up by supports.  Not perfect, but nearly all I could do unless I started my own city model.

Back to the rockets on the Stiletto, those will be easier to fix (by comparison).

BTW, changing the green plane under the city to water, to look like a lake, would be fairly easy, if that would look better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:36:00 pm by Destructavator »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:59 pm »
BTW, changing the green plane under the city to water, to look like a lake, would be fairly easy, if that would look better.

Yes, I think the city was designed to be a coastal city, with the edges on a lake. Would probably look better (and you can show off some nice reflections).

Weapon placements on the stilleto are tough. I would suggest shrinking the rockets quite a bit, but still there's no good solution here. +1 for forward planning.

With the minigun up front, I think the barrel should just poke out a bit in the front. Most of the barrel would be built into the nose.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
Here's my best idea on the rockets. You'll have to build something that sits into the side but looks like a missile bay. It's not great, but would leave the overall shape of the stilleto intact. It won't match the rocket pod as it appears in-game, but I don't think that's a problem really. All the missile pods would be tailored to fit different craft anyway.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:11 am »
Here's my best idea on the rockets. You'll have to build something that sits into the side but looks like a missile bay. It's not great, but would leave the overall shape of the stilleto intact. It won't match the rocket pod as it appears in-game, but I don't think that's a problem really. All the missile pods would be tailored to fit different craft anyway.

If we're going with internal storage and launch from missile tubes, I think it would be better for the bays to be in the bottom or bottom side of the craft. That way minimal amount of it get's in the way of engines.

Offline Prinegon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:54 am »
I actually like H-Hours Idea. Internal storage would be best. Those external batteries would totally burst the stiletto's capability for stealth. And since todays military vehicles (airhicle?) get more and more stealthy it would feel wrong for a future military fighter to be such radar visible.

To start a rocket for a jet it doesn't need much, since the jet just has to drop the missle. The actual start of the missles engine would first happen in its free fall. So there is nothing against missles being stored on a roundeel over a dropping chamber.

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:31 pm »
Anyways, to get the result in the pic attached here I had to edit the city mesh and extrude downward the lowest edges, making the streets look like they are held up by supports.  Not perfect, but nearly all I could do unless I started my own city model.
thats a great shot. and i also think that you did a really good job. its hard enough without aerodynamic and maybe more realistic rocketplacement (if u really want to change it.. try the airwolf design with rockets on the bottom. maybe easier http://gtasamugen.webs.com/airwolf02.jpg).
good p0ss (hope he is still active for ufo ai) found that city and you were able to integrate it.
(but also must suggest one thing: could you make the stiletto a little bit brighter? hard to say without seeing the video.)
i am getting more an more excited about 2.4.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:04 pm »
Well, after seeing several desired outcomes in different directions, I think we really need to decide soon what we're going to go with.  If we go with totally internal and stuff just pops out when needed, that's actually the easiest for me because then I don't really have to alter the model by sticking things on it.

If I'm going to put small launch tubes on - that don't stick out very much - and are fed ammunition/rockets/shots internally, I'm willing to do that and polish it with some work to make it look good, but then I don't want to have to throw it all out afterward.

Or, I could do similar to what I have done but move the rocket racks forward or put them in a different spot, and possibly shrink them a little.
EDIT: I'm also willing to model custom racks, for example having them all in a straight line instead of rows of 3 and 4, or something else.

Should we have a poll and vote?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:17:50 pm by Destructavator »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06:45 am »
Should we have a poll and vote?

No, you should just make a decision and go with it. Really, the intro video is the only place where I think this is an issue, as in-game you never really see this (even the equip craft screen doesn't really need to deal with the problem of HOW the missiles are equipped).

If people have good ideas they can share them (as some have), but in the end you should pick whatever you're happy with and make it happen. I M H O as the saying goes.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 12:24:48 am »
How large can/would those internal weapon bays be, actually? Since in-game you can mount a number of weapons on them, they'd have to be able to hold the quite a bit more blockier TR-20 pods too, and I think SHIVAs, lasers, particles, etc. would require a mount with servos to be able to fine-tune the aim. All the while not totally blocking the engines (which I think requires them to be placed somewhat lower than what's in H-Hour's picture). If they can be that large, I say go with it. They're the best option if they're at all possible.

No, you should just make a decision and go with it. Really, the intro video is the only place where I think this is an issue, as in-game you never really see this (even the equip craft screen doesn't really need to deal with the problem of HOW the missiles are equipped).

If people have good ideas they can share them (as some have), but in the end you should pick whatever you're happy with and make it happen. I M H O as the saying goes.

What about the aerial combat that, at least at some point, was supposed to be more than launching the aircarft and hoping for the best? Wouldn't they show up in there?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:45:40 am by Hertzila »