project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Wish me luck...  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Wish me luck...
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »
Just an FYI, I live in a part of the United States which, today, has the worst weather forecast prediction since about 1979.

There's already a tornado watch in effect for this roughly half of the state, and a lengthy windstorm is expected to move through shortly, one with potential winds up to ~70 MPH or so.  (For you Euro guys, If my quick math is right I think that's over 100 KPH or so at least.)

Hopefully it won't be too bad - I live in a concrete building - But I've got my flashlight, food, and other stuff prepared.

Needless to say, after an hour or so I might be away from this forum for a while, depending on just what happens.

I guess I'm about to find out.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Wish me luck...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »
I wish you luck. Hopefully you won't be needing that stuff.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:55:19 pm »
*wishes luck* :o I hope it wont be that worse! :-\

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »
Thanks.

Here's a link to one report:

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/powerful-storm-expected-to-hit-midwest

Edit:  Just in case any of you who are overseas can't access that page, here's a quote from one meteorologist:

"If this storm comes together, it could have the lowest pressure of any October storm recorded.  In fact, it would only be second to the Blizzard of 1978, and would top the Edmund Fitzgerald Storm on 1975."
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:04:40 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »
whoa :( *thumbs pressed*

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:44 pm »
its not that kind of storm but the principle the same

and bring us some pictures   ::)  safe "ride"

Ildamos

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
I wish you luck. Hopefully you won't be needing that stuff.

This.

Just the same, though I hope you've invested in a lifejacket to prepare for floods.

God bless man I hope you're ok.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:15:28 am »
Well, I'm still here, and it looks like my internet seems to be back to normal (was temperamental for a while).  I was lucky - the real nasty parts of the storm apparently went across south of where I am (The storm went roughly west to east), At least one major tornado was confirmed, but in a different part of the state, and flooding wasn't quite as much of a concern as I'm on the 5th floor of a 19-story high-rise building.  Power stayed on thanks to generators in the building, although many surrounding areas were out for a while.

Looking at storm damage reports, there were some downed power lines and trees, and a nearby area had winds that were measured by authorities to have reached ~85 mph.  (If my math is right that's around 130-140 kph metric - Or is it multiplied the other way?)  Downtown, it apparently got up to ~65 to 70 mph in most areas.

The last time a major storm that was almost as bad as this went through the area, there was a tornado -  less than a mile away that tore down a few trees.

I take these things seriously - I actually lived through and survived a hurricane a long time ago, down in a part of Texas.  What was interesting was before the storm came, people had attitudes: "Oh, it won't be that bad, we've had bad weather before..." and "Yeah, yeah, bring it on..." type of mentalities.  I thankfully had a parent back then that also took it seriously, reinforcing the windows and house, stocking up on supplies, shuttering the windows, etc.  Everyone else was laughing at us for doing such things, but after the storm, surprise, surprise, many houses and structures in town were collapsed, half-swept away for some distance, ruined, etc.  We were prepared, so we were OK.

The morning after (the hurricane, long ago) was "fun" - There was lawless chaos, including people down at a surviving gas station who were shooting at each other with shotguns over what was left of bags of ice and food there!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:17:30 am by Destructavator »

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:46 am »
Good to hear that nothing that bad happened to you. Hopefully you'll be able to live in peace for some time now.

Looking at storm damage reports, there were some downed power lines and trees, and a nearby area had winds that were measured by authorities to have reached ~85 mph.  (If my math is right that's around 130-140 kph metric - Or is it multiplied the other way?)  Downtown, it apparently got up to ~65 to 70 mph in most areas.

Yes, your math is correct. That is one hell of a wind.

The morning after (the hurricane, long ago) was "fun" - There was lawless chaos, including people down at a surviving gas station who were shooting at each other with shotguns over what was left of bags of ice and food there!

Well that seems a (huge) bit... over the top.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:02:57 am by Hertzila »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:50 pm »
Well that seems a (huge) bit... over the top.

No, it's actually a true part of the story, it really happened, and it was not exaggerated.  Fortunately it didn't last a real long time and wasn't on the scale of the more recent Katrina disaster a few years back.

If you still think I'm being full of it, just do some research and look up some history of areas of the USA right after a profound hurricane or similar disaster hits.

I can realize that for you European guys it might be hard to imagine how things can get here, but here in the USA we have a *lot* more gun crimes and problems because of "gun nuts" (fanatics) who love firearms.  Down in that part of Texas was no exception.  Heck, further up north where I live now it wasn't too long ago that a college professor had his home searched for something else petty, and they discovered assault rifles, machine guns, military ammunition, and even a rocket launcher in his home.  (He's locked up now, likely for good.)

A few weeks ago in another part of the state I heard on the news about a large-scale shootout between local biker gangs with guns - These things really do happen.

Heck, my own grandfather was a gun collector, although he collected them over his whole life after serving in two world wars.  It was a problem when he died, having a whole wall full of the stuff, including old machine guns, a riot shotgun or two, and many other nasty things.  They couldn't simply be inherited because they required special permits and such to possess, a dealer couldn't be located who was authorized to take all that stuff, so in the end the police had to haul away all of it.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »
*words*

You got it wrong, I believe you and was simply saying that their reaction IMO seemed strange and out of proportions.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 03:02:50 pm »
I can realize that for you European guys it might be hard to imagine how things can get here, but here in the USA we have a *lot* more gun crimes and problems because of "gun nuts" (fanatics) who love firearms.

Well we know about that through movies, tv series, reportages, news etc. Anyway good to know youre still there. :)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:46:25 am »
I saw some pictures of that storm in the news. Nasty.
Glad to hear you are ok :)