project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Video in-game cut-scene movie clip planning  (Read 18835 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Video in-game cut-scene movie clip planning
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 03:10:58 pm »
That's a problem - I've been trying to work with that city model and it is very difficult to "shoehorn" it into the terrain.  It isn't a flat and level model to start with, and I've been getting mixed results trying to get it looking decent on any terrain.

If I had individual structures though, that would be *much* easier, because then the Terragen 2 software can take each specific little component and automatically lay it flat on any background land or terrain, as well as automatically stopping at bodies of water, or steep cliffs, etc.  The T2 software has not only single model import, but "population" model import as well, so if I had a dozen building models it could place thousands of them, mixed up, on the terrain in an area.  It would be procedural placement (set by a random, but configurable, seed value) for rendering, and follow placement rules I specify (for spacing between models, rules for orientation, rules for how they lay on what parts of the terrain, etc.).  That would really be much easier to work with and work much better than one large city model.

In addition, for moving on to a different location, a video of a different city, I could just change the seed value for the structures, and avoid having an identical city for a different video clip.  The T2 software would do the rest.

Offline Brettie-C

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »
Probably more like the second case you mentioned, I'd say - bits and pieces, which of course would go along with whatever the visual content is at any specific moment.  The soundtrack would of course also include plenty of sounds and SFX as well - Crystan could take care of most SFX, but if you have audio and sound creating skills we can always use contributions of more stuff.

well i have some experience with a audio program called fruity loops, all id need to do is get some software for the program and i could possibly create any kind of SFX you wanted wether it be dark and spooky or upbeat n cheerful. id need parts of the clip so i could find out what works with what and things like that but give me a shout when your ready for it and ill get to it.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »
well i have some experience with a audio program called fruity loops, all id need to do is get some software for the program and i could possibly create any kind of SFX you wanted wether it be dark and spooky or upbeat n cheerful. id need parts of the clip so i could find out what works with what and things like that but give me a shout when your ready for it and ill get to it.

OK, when some more artwork is available and the time comes for adding sounds, I'd suggest working together with (and getting to know) Crystan, who IIRC also uses the same software.

BTW, I actually design (code) DAW audio plug-ins, I'm in charge of a "family" of plug-ins that are also on SourceForge, although the current downloads for the project are rather old - If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, you'll see some new test releases for the project coming out soon, which will be light-years ahead of the current (old) VST downloads.  Most of the code base for the core processing of some new stuff is done, but it'll take time to get a new GUI together for a new release of my work (The old one is an overgrown mess), and I also hope to release a Linux port in LADSPA form at nearly the same time.  (I also have another project member, a guy I know, working on a Mac AU port, but he has a lot going on for him so it might be a while before any Mac versions are up for D/L.)  Some time down the road I plan to have some VSTi instruments and synths finally finished, but that won't be for some time.

Offline Brettie-C

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »
OK, when some more artwork is available and the time comes for adding sounds, I'd suggest working together with (and getting to know) Crystan, who IIRC also uses the same software.

BTW, I actually design (code) DAW audio plug-ins, I'm in charge of a "family" of plug-ins that are also on SourceForge, although the current downloads for the project are rather old - If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, you'll see some new test releases for the project coming out soon, which will be light-years ahead of the current (old) VST downloads.  Most of the code base for the core processing of some new stuff is done, but it'll take time to get a new GUI together for a new release of my work (The old one is an overgrown mess), and I also hope to release a Linux port in LADSPA form at nearly the same time.  (I also have another project member, a guy I know, working on a Mac AU port, but he has a lot going on for him so it might be a while before any Mac versions are up for D/L.)  Some time down the road I plan to have some VSTi instruments and synths finally finished, but that won't be for some time.

looking forward to them VST's and also looking forward to working with you guys for the intro :)

edit: just found some 4-5 year old VST's i used to use lol so ill have a play around for a couple of weeks n get some more experience in creating different sounds

edit2: by any chance would you have any base kicks, claps n stuff like that?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:32:18 pm by Brettie-C »

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
I have extensive experience recording in-game WoW footage and editing in Final Cut Express.

See:

http://warcraftmovies.com/pv.php?t=3&l=parl2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1392JvaDbA

Unf. I need to be jobhunting right now. But later on I might be able to help edit.

Offline bluereaper75

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:47 am »
Aight so here is my idea:

My idea would be a "battle: la" style intro sequence (if you are familiar with the movie).

1) open with a city. civilians walk and enjoy their lives in the peaceful calm of the urban environment.

Cut to:

2) a man in a military uniform working in a dark light room at a video monitor. a big partially concealed PHALANX emblem is on a wall in the background

3) camera moves back to reveal a scene of a large control room environment. setting the scene in the radar room of a phalanx base

4) camera zooms in on a big monitor showing earth. suddenly, a siren goes off.

5) the monitor screen zooms to show a satellite view of a small location on earth (say, new york city). several large red dots

cut back to:

6) the futuristic city. citizens look up into the sky. camera pans to reveal several harvesters screaming out of the sky onto the city, along with orbital entry vehicles that resemble comets impacting

7) the people begin to run in mass panic as the harvesters land and unload hordes of aliens (the first 3 main alien types).

cut to:

8) hand-held camera style news report footage of the aliens gunning down helpless people as security and police forces attempt to hold off the attack. ends with a shot of an alien shooting into a camera, causing it to fall.

cut to:

9) a scene of a wounded civilian crawling through the burning wreckage. an ortnok steps on him, and the camera zooms to the barrel of the plasma gun as it fires. cuts to black.

black dissolves to:

10) the phalanx logo on the side of a drop ship. camera zooms out to reveal a sizeable force of phalanx drop-ships and stiletto aircraft flying in formation over the burning city, ready for action

11) drop-ships land, and phalanx troops in combat armor jump out. camera zooms to the helmet of the lead soldier, fades to white

12) Title screen

Offline iamaloner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:03 pm »
Here are my suggestion and it will be detailed and I hope you will aggree...

Prolouge(when game starts)...
Scene 1(flashback):
- first person view (you have ballistic googles and holding assault rifle)
- inside the transport helicopter (make it kinda futuristic for near end of 21 century)
- you hear screams and gunfire from outside
Scene 2(Lock N Load):
- exiting from helicopter with fellow comrades and start shooting at aliens behind debris
- partially or fully destructed vehicles, rarely some vehicle undamaged, alot of dead civilians and soldier
- building damaged, some are fully destruced, large UFO hovering above center of the city
Scene 3(run):
- you and your soldier are running and retreating as alien forces advance
- small UFOs shooting at buildings and armored vehicles near you
- near you bridge collapses
- you and your comrades find some cover
Scene 3(last stand)
- surounded by aliens, shooting and taking cover, some fellow comrades got killed
- decide to take rocket launcher and to fire at landing small UFO and UFO got hit and gets damaged
- some backup arrives and start regrouping while under heavy fire
Scene 4(push forward):
- Aliens advance, large CW infrantry corps arrives, mass losses, alien starts to have losses
- civilians get in the crossfire
- you got hit by an alien firearm in the torso (barely survives)
Scene 5(halt):
- advance of aliens are halted (rockets fired upon small ufos)
- you hear on radio that CW is going to fire an experimental rocket against main UFO
- CW troops advance and aliens are retreating
- you got order to retreat and to get in the transport helicopter

Its probavly short but its a good start...

Nokim

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 09:28:36 am »
- No language, written, printed, or spoken please.  That would create localization issues, as we would then have to have alternate video clips and alternate soundtracks for every single language the game supports, which isn't really feasible - I personally wouldn't support such a thing.
You can use written language with subtitles. I mean something like ASS one, which can put text on any desired place over video and animate it so it looks naturally moving with object. In such way you have one video file and many subtitles (text files) for localization. I personally don't care about language of soundtrack if i have text in subtitles. It's so in movies and games alike. And usually original soundtrack is the best compared to localized ones.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 03:29:18 pm »
Does anyone remember the original X-Com intro video? :) :) :) 

Point being that a modern (non cheesy) cinematic video can be done - without any / with minimal voice, as long as appropriate text is used