project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Video in-game cut-scene movie clip planning  (Read 18920 times)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: Video in-game cut-scene movie clip planning
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »
No no i thought you would add the sound effects to it because i should upload it to the data source. And i have to excuse - i miss read the whole last two sentences of your post - sorry. For me its okay if you do or someone else do the music stuff. I think iam going to compose some music but just for some personal tests - in case its good ill show it.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 06:12:54 pm »
OK, if you want me to take sound effects that you create and upload, and edit them into the video with my video editing software, yes, I can do that, that's easy for me and I have no problem doing that.

Is this what you mean?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »
No no no. :D I thought you wanted to add the sounds because you wrote i should upload the sounds to the data source - so you can add them. Maybe i wrote something false because of lacking english skills. Again sorry. For clarification: I want to do the sound stuff. Iam already excited about it. :)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:24 pm »
Now I'm a bit confused.   ???

No worries, I'll try putting this in another way:

1 - First, forget what I said before (new plan).
2 - I take the video segments, the pictures, and put them together into one, single video stream, which doesn't have any audio at this point.
3 - I then put together a music track and add it to the video.
4 - I send the video to you.  I can also send the music track by itself along with it in a separate file, to make it easier to sync things in the next step,
5 - You can then add sound effects to the video, on top of the music - Either by editing them into the video itself, or by mixing them into the separate soundtrack file, which could then later be re-inserted into the video.
6 - One of us would take the new audio (which has both the music and sound effects) and combine it with the visual, "moving pictures" of the video, which give us a completed video.
7 - Last step, I could then take the completed video and, as long as it is approved by Winter and BTAxis, convert it into either OGM or RoQ video for the actual game.  It then gets committed.

How does this sound?  Would you be happy with this plan?  If not, I'm open to changing things, I try to be flexible.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. ;) That plan sounds perfect to me.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »
The only part I don't agree with is the choice of dropship, I think that for an intro we should only use technology available at the start of the game, and not include something that should be researched and discovered by the player.  This would also avoid newcomer feedback along the lines of "Hey, why does the dropship I see at the start of the game not look like the one I use playing the game?"

For the same reasons, I think the Phalanx craft shown in the intro should likely be Saracens.

The initial PHALANX base has Stiletto. A newcomer could say "Hey, why does the interceptor I see at the start of the game not look like the one I use playing the game?"

-geever

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 08:22:33 pm »
The initial PHALANX base has Stiletto. A newcomer could say "Hey, why does the interceptor I see at the start of the game not look like the one I use playing the game?"

-geever

Good point.  That wouldn't be hard to change, especially since I didn't render anything with Phalanx aircraft yet, so nothing is really wasted by making such a change at this point.

That's also good for another reason:  Many newcomers mistakenly think the Stiletto is a helicopter, because of the way it looks in the craft equip screens - If they see it in action in an intro video they'll realize right away that it isn't like that, which will clear up such misconceptions.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »
You'll also have an easier time using the SHIVA Gatling gun, if you intend to use it. Saracen has no nose hardpoint and a Gatling mounted under the wing would look really strange.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »
You'll also have an easier time using the SHIVA Gatling gun, if you intend to use it. Saracen has no nose hardpoint and a Gatling mounted under the wing would look really strange.

Yup, quite true.

I'm still tweaking shaders and colors on the mountains, but I'm going to do a test animation render, just a few short seconds total, to try some things out in the software.

Meanwhile, If someone else can get even a few low-poly buildings together to make the city look better, that would be good.

If no one else volunteers to do a high-poly detailed pilot and cockpit interior, I guess I can get started on that later, but not right away.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »
OK, I've got a 20 second test render for all of you to feast your eyes on, however at this point I'm going to start it in a new thread - Given that we may eventually have multiple videos for the game, I think it would be best to keep this thread for general planning and info that applies to all in-game video plans, and plans for individual videos in separate forum threads.  Otherwise, down the road we'd have multiple video ideas in a big mess crammed into one thread, which would be chaotic.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »
p0ss posted in another thread a link to a 3d resource site and I noticed these models. Maybe they can work for your city fly-by scenes?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 06:24:34 am »
p0ss posted in another thread a link to a 3d resource site and I noticed these models. Maybe they can work for your city fly-by scenes?

Ah!  Yes, these would be very nice, thank you.

Offline Brettie-C

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 08:35:22 am »
what kind of sound track are you guys looking for? an actual full song or bits and pieces of music stuck together?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 02:51:02 pm »
what kind of sound track are you guys looking for? an actual full song or bits and pieces of music stuck together?

Probably more like the second case you mentioned, I'd say - bits and pieces, which of course would go along with whatever the visual content is at any specific moment.  The soundtrack would of course also include plenty of sounds and SFX as well - Crystan could take care of most SFX, but if you have audio and sound creating skills we can always use contributions of more stuff.

First, though, I need more 3D models of stuff and artwork to get the visual parts together.  That is really the priority and area where things are lacking at the moment.  Once the visual content and such is together in "rough" (draft) renders, we would then worry about adding sounds and music, and timing all the stuff together.

Specifically, what I really need right now are outdoor man-made structures - mostly buildings, houses, skyscrapers, parking lots, landscaped areas, and such, for building outdoor scenes.  At the moment I can easily render lots of types of terrain, clouds, skies, bodies of water and such with the tools I have now, but for man-made structures and landscaped or developed areas I'm short.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »
Specifically, what I really need right now are outdoor man-made structures

What about that whole city model? Loads of buildings there and already packed into a city...