project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Solution - Rendering large city for animation video cut-scenes  (Read 11496 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Solution - Rendering large city for animation video cut-scenes
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:20 am »
I think I've finally figured it out.

I've been playing around with a 3D terrain/world rendering program called Terragen 2, which is designed for large-scale renders of outdoor scenes in photo-realistic quality, and can do movie clips as well by rendering individual video frames and then applying motion blur.

The program also has an OBJ loader which can load static meshes and move/rotate/etc them among animation frames, as well as applying lighting and transparency FX.  It can do this not only as single objects, but also as procedurally-created populations which can be set to automatically sit on top of terrain.

Normally the population render is for trees, plants, vegetation, etc., but I've found it also works for buildings and other imported models.

AFAIK the free version makes renders compatible with GPL Open-Source projects, although the free edition doesn't do animation (only one single frame at a time) and has other limitations.

Here's a quick example with a simple, spartan terrain and no clouds/sky stuff, but just to show off a 3D model of a building in a population.  I got this "factory" model from an open art collection, according to that site this model is public domain IIRC.

...So all I need now is a few good OBJ models of modern buildings of various types, even half a dozen is good, and I can make what looks like a city.

I'm in the process of getting the full version of the software with animation.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: Solution - Rendering large city for animation video cut-scenes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:43 pm »
Cool! Is it possible to add effects like lasers to the animations so you can make a intro movie with it? Btw. i think this pic is a horror for environmentalists. :D

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:32:25 pm »
Cool! Is it possible to add effects like lasers to the animations so you can make a intro movie with it? Btw. i think this pic is a horror for environmentalists. :D

Yes, when combined with other software tools for non-linear video editing (something I also do work in), that's exactly the idea, yes, as I've been planning for a long time to replace the existing, clunky intro movie that was never really finished.

Combined with Blender, and skill for using both Terragen 2 and Blender effectively, quite a bit is possible.

I also own registered copies of some video editing software, although for the record I've seen a lot of open-source apps really catch up quite a bit in the field.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:29:01 pm »
...So all I need now is a few good OBJ models of modern buildings of various types, even half a dozen is good, and I can make what looks like a city.

I assume you just want tall, large-city buildings, yeah? I've got a small two-story office business building and a warehouse with a loading platform in 3DSM I could probably export to OBJ, but they're probably not right for a big city.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »
I assume you just want tall, large-city buildings, yeah? I've got a small two-story office business building and a warehouse with a loading platform in 3DSM I could probably export to OBJ, but they're probably not right for a big city.

Actually I need a variety, so what you have would be quite helpful.  Most populated areas on Earth are not deep inner-city, and even the urban areas that I've seen here in the United States have a variety of structures, not just tall skyscrapers.

Country barns and farm buildings would also be good for rural areas, they could be put on the terrain with the same technique.

Most of our planet's surface is really not populated at all, but the Terragen software itself takes care of that with no problem.

Side note:  Do we have simple 3D models for Phalanx base structures?  If so, I could use them to make a base out in the wilderness (or in any other area) for in-game movie clips.

Another side note:  I can also use streets and roads, for running between buildings.

EDIT:  Please note that building models for this type of thing should be simple, as highly detailed meshes with lots of polys will really slow down renders, and the camera won't typically be in that close to them anyways.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:20:03 pm by Destructavator »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »
I think Phalanx bases should be underground and pretty well disguised from the surface, yeah?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »
I think Phalanx bases should be underground and pretty well disguised from the surface, yeah?

I agree, which is why I personally disagree with the way they are implemented in-game at present.
(Especially with the way that there are so many ways into the base that aliens can use in base defense missions - "Hey look!  Aliens are coming!  Let's open up the big, protective, huge hanger top doors so they have more ways to get in!")

Regardless, any building/structure models you have would be useful.

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:37:45 am »
I think we should probably storyboard something like this before beginning production. That way time wont be wasted doing things that wont be seen anyways, and we will know more or less the exact assets we will need.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:36 am »
I think we should probably storyboard something like this before beginning production. That way time wont be wasted doing things that wont be seen anyways, and we will know more or less the exact assets we will need.

True, I totally agree, and in fact this is something I brought up a long time ago in this project (IIRC over a year ago), although back then it kinda fell apart because I didn't have this software back then (Terragen 2 was in a beta phase and had issues at the time), or the skill at doing much decent modeling - So being lacking in both talent and tools, it didn't go too far and we didn't get any good in-game movie clips together that were really within means to create.  We also didn't have any good new soldier models, we ran into issues trying to add new animations to the old ones, and there was even discussion about live acting with a video camcorder or something, which didn't take off.

Now though, things have changed.  I will probably do a few test movie renders - short ones that probably won't go into the game - mostly so I can get some more experience with this Terragen 2 software and see what it can really do, as well as look at how I can do it, but by the time you finish the new soldier models, yes, we should indeed plan some stuff with storyboards and such.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:15 am »
why not just make a realistic game, that would give you a view from the satellite? it would be more difficult, but more interesting.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 12:19:08 pm »
Now though, things have changed.  I will probably do a few test movie renders - short ones that probably won't go into the game

Please send me these test vids then so i can try add sounds to the video. :)

why not just make a realistic game, that would give you a view from the satellite? it would be more difficult, but more interesting.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:22:06 pm »
Please send me these test vids then so i can try add sounds to the video. :)

http://www.destructavator.com/ufoai/vidtests/
(This folder will have stuff added to it from time to time.)

Here's two, the first one - flying over mountains - I admit didn't come out that great because I used the wrong settings for the water and the colors of the mountains.  I also should have enabled the full anti-aliasing settings, something I didn't do in that clip, resulting in the whole thing being less pretty than it should have been.

Offline mikeg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »
Looks really great to me. Is there a tutorial about such things?

Regards

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »
Looks really great to me. Is there a tutorial about such things?

Regards

I actually need to start looking at tutorials on Planetside Software's website myself, so far I've been trying to teach myself how parts of the software work, something that I admit isn't likely the best way.

For starters, if you want to do something like this you'll need the Terragen 2 software, specifically the "deep" edition with full animation, which isn't free (but still costs a lot less than something like Maya or 3DS Max).

In these two clips the only thing animated is really the camera, it moves from one location to another between frames.

If I later find that there aren't any existing tutorials for this on PlanetSide's website, I certainly wouldn't mind offering a contribution (many users in their forum offer such things).