project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Painting style art  (Read 4765 times)

Offline mazeut

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Painting style art
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:44:13 pm »
Hello,

Hopefully this is the right place to throw this out, if not sorry.  I do painting style sketches in gimp (amateur) and I wondered if something like that would be of use.  Been playing UFO:AI off and on for a while and would love to contribute.  Here's a few examples, none of them are really finished though.  I did them more to play with things like lighting and lean gimp. 

If something like this is of use let me know.  I looked around the contribute section of the site but didn't see a mention of anything like this exactly.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Painting style art
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »
This is an unofficial, fellow player's and forum user's opinion but I think you should try doing UFOpedia pictures.

E: This seems to be the topic with newest replies and activity. Admittedly it's still a little old.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:46:54 pm by Hertzila »

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:29 pm »
answering in the same unofficial capacity, in my opinion the UFOpedia should have an overhaul
when i was young, it was my favorite part, i loved to get a message that new research complete (message not text line) and then read about it and have a nice inspiring ilsutration to set the mood, so looking back at some of the old screens:

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1ufopaedia/craft.html
http://www.xcomufo.com/usopaedia/aliens.html
http://www.xcomufo.com/usopaedia/craft.html

i all i can say is the more the merrier, if you can make something its will be wonderful, since right now the ufo media is "gray" at best.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:06:32 pm »
This is the todo list for 2.4 which has a few ufopaedia entries on it. But most existing entries use photos/renders so your painting style may not fit well with them. Have a look at existing ufopaedia and see what you think.

Offline mazeut

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 03:49:43 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Should I post submissions in the Artist required thread?

Edit:  Also, forgot, is there a resource for getting images of earth that can be used?  That orbital activity one would be a bit daunting if I had to paint the earth myself.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:01:01 pm by mazeut »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »
NASA releases a lot of photos to (I think) Public Domain.

Post anywhere in this Artwork forum is fine.