Development > Newbie Coding

The GIT problem

<< < (2/9) > >>

H-Hour:
I haven't used the GIT GUI, but it does look promising. What I couldn't see how to do was Add a file, which is what artists tend to do. But it looks like it might be a decent interface for making local commits and then pushing them, although I've found Tortoise does work for making local commits.

Crystan:
Well i got a idea today. Wouldnt it be possible to create a .bat (or maybe a simple wingui?) that does the setup automatical? So you just have to enter your "account data" and the clone path. Maybe another bat file for both commits types and for pull/fetch? I dont know - maybe its a dumb idea. Opinions?

H-Hour:

--- Quote from: Crystan on October 08, 2010, 02:08:40 pm ---Well i got a idea today. Wouldnt it be possible to create a .bat (or maybe a simple wingui?) that does the setup automatical? So you just have to enter your "account data" and the clone path. Maybe another bat file for both commits types and for pull/fetch? I dont know - maybe its a dumb idea. Opinions?

--- End quote ---

GIT GUI basically does this for getting the initial checkout, and then I think it's more straightforward to use the config commands in the wiki for those who need write access.

I don't think it would be a good idea for commits or fetching. It would be more complicated than it's worth for committing -- you'd need an interface for adding new files and then choosing which files to commit (basically what Tortoise will give you). And fetching is as simple as entering "git fetch" into the git command line.

Destructavator:
Sorry I've been out for a bit, but, anyways:

Yes, I had HD problems and other system stability problems with the official Git installer, although it was an older one than the one now offered for download.

The reason I didn't report error messages in IRC or such is because:

A)  Some of the problems did not cause specific error messages in text I could copy anywhere, it simply f***ed-up my system (even corrupted Windows File Explorer),

and,

B)  Mattn and Tron wouldn't be able to fix them anyways, because it isn't on their end, it's with the Git software itself, and unless Mattn and Tron joined the Git development team, they wouldn't have anything to do about it.

That being said, I've noticed several new released versions that have come out since then, so sometime soon I'll back up everything on my Windows partition and CAREFULLY install the newer Git software to see if it actually works.

As for the TortoiseGit stuff, I agree that it isn't (yet) reliable, so I won't even bother with that.

If things still fail though, I guess I'll have to resort to commit/update via rebooting to Linux - I just noticed a couple of days ago a new version of the Ubuntu and many of its derivatives have been released.

Duke:
@Crystan:
I pretty much agree with H-Hour on those .bat files. Usually not flexible enough.

We certainly are not the only devs on this planet that have these probs with GIT. So our best bet is to figure out how *they* solved it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version