project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Improved 3D Geoscape Rendering [was: Nightime city lights in 3D geoscape]  (Read 71272 times)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
I uploaded the medium res version to current trunk, because I remembered that somewhere here we agreed that the medium res package will make it to trunk, but the high res package will only be available as additional download...

But now I am not sure if I will get beaten for doing this  :-[

The low res version has 28.6 MB, so I thought this is really nothing compared to the 120 MB the version has, that I am currently using fluently on both of my systems (still not succeeded in squeezing filesize)...

Please do not hate me for loving good gfx & high resolutions  ;)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
that is something i will remove from the final installers anyway and offer as different download - some people has to pay for every megabyte they are downloading.... please keep that in mind.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Sorry, I really thought initially that you just 'forgot' those...
I did not want to make extra-work...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
IMHO it was a very good decision to keep the medium-res globe textures for v2.3.  8)

Still there are phantastically, phenomenal looking high quality versions available also, which I would like to share with others too.  :-[

Is it okay if I commit those @ least to data_source so others interested could download those from there ?!  ::)  :-\

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
No. Big textures should be somewhere on site, but not in repo. It can just simply destroy SF SVN.

PS: btw, you were wrong in message of r31015. You shouldn`t manually break strings, only different phrases should be newlined, and * should be in begining of sentence, not each line.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
No. Big textures should be somewhere on site, but not in repo. It can just simply destroy SF SVN.
Those are not THAT big, Kildor.  :D
We are talking about 120MB ;)
But okay, if you say so. We can sometime later upload those somewhere else as this has no big priority...

Sorry 'bout my wrong commit-comments. Will do it like you described it in future-commits...

It is also easier & faster that way, so thanks for the comment ;)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Improved 3D Geoscape Rendering [was: Nightime city lights in 3D geoscape]
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »
For those who want to check out the globe in highest resolution  ;)- here is the link to download the pk3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0x3iyqfn8h60w0o

8) 8) 8)

CHECK IT OUT - YO !