Development > Translating

Note to all translators

(1/1)

DarkRain:
Hello fellow translators

I have noticed some of the research texts at the wiki with the following layout:

<Header>    <----- (Proposal, etc)

<From>
<To>
<Date>
<Subject>

<Greeting>  <----- (Commander, Good mornig Sir, etc)
                <------ (Blank line)
<Rest of the text>

Don't do that!

The blank line after the greeting might confuse the script that updates the .po files from the wiki

It might end using the english source for the Research Proposal and the translated version of the Proposal for the Research Result in the .po

I've had that happen in the spanish translation, it seems the script will take the Greeting as the header of the next section (in this case Result) and thus will not find the Research Proposal translation between the Proposal header and the Greeting (wich it takes for the Result header) using the english source for it, then will use the text after the Greeting (The translated version of the Proposal) for the Result

If you reall need to put the Greeting on top of the rest of the paragraph (I know it the right way to write a letter in most places) I suggest using this layout

<Header>

<From>
<To>
<Date>
<Subject>

<Greeting>
<Rest of the text>

Without the blank line the script seems not to be confused

PS Maybe this should be sticky or added to the wiki?

Kildor:
Look to the Russian translation. We`ve made special template for headers to clean-up texts and so on. It may be usefull for other too.

DarkRain:

--- Quote from: Kildor on September 01, 2010, 05:23:13 am ---Look to the Russian translation. We`ve made special template for headers to clean-up texts and so on. It may be usefull for other too.

--- End quote ---
Will have a look, still something good to know in case some people find their translation dont work the way they should

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version