project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction fire : Possible to tweak?  (Read 7874 times)

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reaction fire : Possible to tweak?
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:19 am »
I changed back to the old reaction fire system with the autoexec.cfg method found here on the forums since the new one is not cutting it for me at all.

So now the system work like i want it to, but its (the old system) a little bit to effective (leads to over-use). I want them to always fire if they have enough TU (and they do in the old system) but maybe with less accuracy or damage.

Is it possible to tweak files to achieve this? (lets say cut accuracy or damage in half for all shots fired in RF). Do i need to restart the campaign if i do so?

Thanks a lot.
Erik

MODIFIED
No it doesnt work at all i noticed...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:36:12 am by suliman »

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire : Possible to tweak?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
Scrap that.
actually, the autoexec.cfg isnt enough to revert to the old system. I started a new campaign and RF is still not as in old system at all.

Even after that file change, machinegun guys never use RF (even in very obvious situations). Guys with assault rifle and sniper rifle do it sometime though.

So any way to truely revert back to old RF-system? (and preferable also change accuracy in RF-shots)

Thanks

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »
I use the default RF, but i have some question about it.

Where is exactly the different between single or multiple shoots in RF?
It takes the same TU to switch between them... so why i should use single fire in RF, is that single fire more accurate than multi fire?

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:59:39 pm »
In the new system i have no idea since i dont get it to work at all. In the old single meant they would only fire RF once (the type of fire single/burst etc was set in the fire selection menu).

Anyone? Possible to revert to the reaction fire from 2.2? The way it is not is not working. As stated, creating a autoexec.cfg with that line
set g_reaction_fair 0
doesnt seem to do anything. I try both new campaign and skirmish RF doesnt work as in old system.
(i locked a melee alien in a room, he threw all his knives. And my guy with RF on and assault rifle just chills with him in the room, never shoots once during 10 rounds:(

A fix pleaaase!!! The game is really cool but this really destroys combat.
Thanks
Erik

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:50 am »
In the new system i have no idea since i dont get it to work at all.

The new RF works in the game for sure. its just not activated to 100percent maybe around 70-80percent. i think its depends on the attributs from the soldiers and the weapons what you actually equiped.

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:37 am »
Ok but my troops shoot back 0 times out of over 40 tries (if you look at machineguns). Assault rifles shoot back around 1/6 of the times. So probably it has something to do with TU.

- Couldnt the developers actually explain how the new system is supposed to work (and how to tweak it)
- Also give a instruction on how to revert to the old RF (and how to tweak it). As i state putting the line doesnt work for me.

That would be great!
I hope i come off as to skeptical (i love the game itself)
Erik

Offline TDarklighter

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:04:53 am »
I spent eight hours last night performing close to one hundred missions.  Not once did any of my soldiers use reaction-fire.  Aliens would run around in front of them at varying distances like Scooby-Doo in a hall of doors, and none of my soldiers would fire on them, even when they got shot at.  Not with a machine gun, not with a pistol, not with a flamethrower, not with any rifle, not with a shotgun, not with a fox in a box with green eggs and ham, Sam I am.  TUs for one shot, multiple shots, all TUs available... nothing at all.

Meanwhile I'd land a combat site and there would be an alien facing towards my men getting out of their Firebird.  No matter who I would move or what that man would do, the alien would fire relentlessly on one of the soldiers it could see, inevitably killing him/her without a chance to save them or fight back, shooting at the next the moment that man dropped until the alien's TUs ran out.  If any others saw my men, they too would shoot, creating a very ugly crossfire and a frustrated click on the "Retry" button.  Typically the soldier they'd be targeting would be the one with the rocket launcher or sniper rifle and they missed horribly despite being proficient in rating with their weapon, so putting a stop to the shooting frenzy in one or two shots was rarely an option - for some reason rockets and sniper rifles have become horribly inaccurate weapons that do little damage (what happened to the head shot option, by the way?). 
I thought maybe it was coded to match "X-Com: Enemy Unknown's" RF rules, in which soldiers would sometimes(rarely) shoot at moving enemies, while the aliens would fire at moving objects much more frequently.  It was around mission 40 that I noticed my men had not fired a single reaction shot at all and there were very blatant points where three or four of my soldiers would be massed for an ambush and a Taman would walk right into their kill zone - surely one of them would have taken a shot.  This happened again and again and my soldiers would be like mannequins in a mall, being shot at and never reacting. 

The aliens have no problem with their RF working.  Player's soldiers, however, need it turned back on.  Standard, Easy, Very Easy - all three of these difficulty levels seemed the same.  The combats became very difficult, even on the easiest setting, as I had to adapt new tactics as I could no longer use RF to assist my squads' movements through the battlefield.  At the start when all the aliens had were kerrblades and plasma grenades, it wasn't so bad, but once they got plasma rifles it became ridiculously difficult to approach them and kill them before I lost my men to extremely accurate, extremely long range reaction fire and normal fire.  I don't think the solution is to reduce the accuracy on reaction fire, but rather to re-enable it for the player's forces.  I can handle the challenge of the aliens' accuracy, as long as my men have the fair advantage of shooting at them as they move around too.    Reaction Fire makes a huge difference and while I enjoyed 2.2.1's very frequent RF rate, I could learn to adapt to a less frequent rate after the no reaction experience I've recently had.   :)  If there is a method to turn it back on by manipulating the source code we have, I'm all ears.

While this is unrelated to the RF topic, it is relevant to tweaking.  The research seems to have been slowed WAY down.  It's taking a long time even with two bases and seventy scientists split between them just to get the early tech out of the way.  If possible, I think it would be a good idea to make the starting(human) tech choices research fairly quickly (I spent over three months just developing laser pistols and DF cartridges!) and leaving the alien technologies around the current rate, possibly tweaked slightly lower on some stuff like plasma weaponry, slightly higher on more advanced topics like UFOs... just an idea.

Hoping to hear back on a fix for the RF thing.  Keep up the good work - I'm eager to see what gets done with 2.4!

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:37:16 am »
Strange thing is, RF works just fine for me. It isn't 100% reliable of course, but it is a part of my tactics. If you can't get it working, a few hints. Two things matter, TU cost of selected RF shot and Mind stat of soldier. Give a laser rifle to soldier with mind 35+, and see the difference. Get a dedicated medic and nanocomposite armors asap, that helps your soldiers survive the first round in unfavorable setups at crash sites.

Ildamos

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31:05 am »
It would help if there's an official guide on how the RF system works. I scanned the FAQ and it doesn't offer anything useful regarding the matter.

Offline VoxDissident

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »
Strange thing is, RF works just fine for me. It isn't 100% reliable of course, but it is a part of my tactics. If you can't get it working, a few hints. Two things matter, TU cost of selected RF shot and Mind stat of soldier. Give a laser rifle to soldier with mind 35+, and see the difference. Get a dedicated medic and nanocomposite armors asap, that helps your soldiers survive the first round in unfavorable setups at crash sites.

I'm quite a few hours into my most recent campaign in 2.3 and I've yet to see any of my soldiers use their reaction fire. I've tried simply using the toggle button (the one you just click), I've tried using the more detailed reaction fire reservation (where you click the button, manually select your fire mode), and I've tried activating both.

I have quite a few Lance-corporals. Do I need to get them even higher in rank?

Ildamos

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:48 am »
Any news regarding Reaction Fire in v2.3?

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »
I have quite a few Lance-corporals. Do I need to get them even higher in rank?

Yes you can. You'd like to check the ufo files to see how much you need to defeat aliens to get a new rank.

Offline Gotta

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »

I confirm, in 30 mission never had a reaction fire with several guns.

How can I fix it?

Offline gargy2002

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »
RF(single shot, not pulse fire etc.) works for me but not on 100%. At the beginning it didn't work at all but now it works. I have 2 captains, 3 lieutenants, 4 second lieutenants and some warrant, second warrant officers and sergeants. I swap approx 16 soldiers when some are heavy wounded. The best soldiers have excellent or highly proficient mind but it's still not enough to use RF more effective. It's just a single shot when aliens fire by pulse or burst..