project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Artwork replacement thread  (Read 52545 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Texture replacement thread
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 07:16:53 pm »
No worries, I've updated OGA, the zip now includes the oven (with its xcf) and all the normal maps

Comitted, thanks.

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:42 am »
I've recreated the three rusted metal textures (as close as I could without going out and taking pictures), the images, normal maps and .xcfs can be found on OGA here:

http://opengameart.org/content/rusted-metal-texture-pack

I've attached the washing machine below, its also now in the kitchen pack on OGA if needed.

ps. it just occurred to me, do those metal textures need to be tile-able? I can make tile-able versions if need.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 10:49:27 am »
Thanks p0ss. Yes, each of those metal textures should tile. They're quit nice. Good job. I'll commit your washing machine now, thanks.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:55:54 am »
I think we are more interested by the replacement of the textures without license status (http://ufoai.ninex.info/licenses/license-unknown.html) than using hi-res textures. If grouping this images per map name help you (or anybody), i can code it.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:19 am »
@bayo, these are not just hi-res textures but replacements for three unknown licensed files here (the top three).

Grouping by map is not needed, I think. If we up the resolution and need to change the map files, it's best to have a breakdown on a per-texture basis.

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
Ok I made those textures tile-able and added the fourth metal texture that I'd missed, I also optimized them, halving their filesizes, I'll do this for all my textures from now on. For the fourth texture I included a version with a pole(like the original) and one without so you can decide which works better, I noticed that the pole version wasn't very widely used, I thought maybe a non-pole version might get more use. In any case, Its all in the metal pack on OGA.

The list of unknowns seems to have grown since I first looked at it, we were at 211 and then we remove a few and now we are at 217, is this one of those never ending projects? :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:57:08 pm by p0ss »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »
I also optimized them, halving their filesizes, I'll do this for all my textures from now on.

Cool. Basically, this is how it works: If a texture changes its dimensions, a mapper has to go into every map file where it is used and modify it the size appropriately. Personally, whether or not I do this depends on a) whether I think the way the texture is used could really benefit from a higher-res texture and b) whether or not the texture we have as a replacement includes details of a high enough quality to merit the extra work. Others may have their own criteria. This is just me personally, where I want to put in my time and effort.

For instance, with your kitchen work, I just reduced the resolution and slotted them in (the high res are still in our data_source if someone wants to use them in the future). But with these metal textures, I'll add them as 512x512 and change all the maps because there is lots of great rusty detail in there and because I think they're textures that will be used more and more in the future. I'll almost never add a texture higher than 512x512, unless it's got a very specific role that warrants it, but we can keep higher res in our data_source for the future.

For the fourth texture I included a version with a pole(like the original) and one without so you can decide which works better, I noticed that the pole version wasn't very widely used, I thought maybe a non-pole version might get more use. In any case, Its all in the metal pack on OGA.

I can add both so this is good. Textures that work in a set with different variations are always useful for mappers.

The list of unknowns seems to have grown since I first looked at it, we were at 211 and then we remove a few and now we are at 217, is this one of those never ending projects? :D

It can be confusing because the licenses information is generated for every folder in our repository, so you might get pointed to one folder or another at different times (Bayo pointed to all unknown licenses, but this included models, skins, particle textures, etc.).

The one I keep my eye on and that is most relavent to this thread is here. It shows all license information for files under /base/textures/, which is where our map textures sit and where the bulk of unknown licensed content is. If you look at the bottom, we're concerned about the textures marked UNKNOWN in red (currently 166). And if you look at the graph on the right on that page, you'll see that the Unknowns have dropped from about 220 a while ago, so we're definitely making progress.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »
p0ss, it looks likle metal005 never got tileable. Could you tile this one as well? I can do it if not...

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:25 am »
Here are another 5 from the list:

http://opengameart.org/content/truck-textures

Not my best work, it was a bit strange not having a 3D version to compare against.

metal 005 should have a tileable version, maybe It just didn't make it into one of the zips. which zip was it missing from?

edit: here is the tileable version of metal005
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:15:57 am by p0ss »

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:52 am »
Alright, another pack for the texture replacement thread, this one is the shipping containers. Following on from your advice on alternate skins this time I have done six different colours to replace the one from the unknown textures, i figure that'll allow mappers to make more realistic environments by having higgledy piffeldy colours.  I didn't replace container003 because the two sides can just use the same texture so a mapper could just use container01, I can do ones with text like the old one if need be, but it seemed like it might distract more than help build a scene. 

http://opengameart.org/content/shipping-container-texture-pack

This time I did them with two sizes, original and high res, so you can just slot them right in.  This one was kind of exhausting, i had to make 50+ textures and only ended up replacing 3, still, hopefully it adds something to the project, given I churned out two packs today I might not do any more for a couple of days.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 10:37:51 am »
Thanks p0ss, I'll work on getting them in.

The metall005 you just posted is not actually tileable. Maybe you just saved the wrong layer or something?

Also, in the container texture pack, it looks like you overwrote container001-nm with container002-nm (see image).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:48:09 am by H-Hour »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:39 am »
happy to see it move so fast :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 07:14:17 pm »
wow - thanks p0ss and H-Hour. Great to see we have movement here.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 06:36:25 pm »
p0ss, I replaced the truck and container textures with your GPLs today. Thanks.

Offline FWishbringer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:18 pm »
/base/textures/tex_material/s_wood001.jpg
license: unknown

new texture:
author: FWishbringer
license: Public Domain