project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Artwork replacement thread  (Read 52506 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Artwork replacement thread
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:11 am »
Unlicensed models and model skins
Unlicensed particle art

Post files here that are released under the GNU General Public License 2.0 or later (GPL2 or later) or the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 (CC-BY-SA 3) and are replacements for those files that can be found behind the above given link.

If you attach a texture here and nothing is written about the license you have to ensure that we can take the GPL2 or later as a license. If you would like to pick the CC-BY-SA 3 you have to tell us per attached image in this thread.

Please make sure to submit png images that have the same resolution as the imageit should replace. It would be a nice addition if you could also submit the Gimp or Photoshop (or whatever) source files.

If the files are too big to get attached here - feel free to upload them at http://drop.io/ or the hoster of your choice.

Big thanks to all contributors

Directory listing in our svn: http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/base/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:55:16 pm by Mattn »

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Texture replacement thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »
Contributing #31, original file is too big to attach. GPL 2 is fine.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »
That's great nerf! The original looked like the glass on the monitor had been shattered. Do you think you could add that in as well? Just some simple lighter shards over the black would work fine.

Also, that one was part of a series that all make up one computer. If you can do the rest, that will help make it look like a single computer. For instance, pc_b and pc_c are both used for the "body" of the monitor (ie - not the screen), so it will be best if the textures match the frame for your texture.

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:38:55 am »
Yep, I wasn't sure if the 'shatter' overlay was on purpose or if it was just artifacts from clearing out of lens flares from a picture.
On the second point is there a doc where it lists what the parts are of? I can see for example there are pieces of a car, there are some generic wall textures, but some of the stuff is not readily identifiable and if folks know what its for it would be easier to replace them with matching textures.

thanks

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:58 am »
Here is an alt version of the monitor screen, I'm going to see what I can do about the rest of it

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:58 am »
Thanks nerf, that's perfect. I found that pc is part of a series just by looking in /base/textures/tex_tech and seeing several pc_a, pc_b, pc_c, etc. In most cases, if something is part of a series it should be named so that the others appear next to it.

Other than that, the only thing you can do is fire up UFORadiant and have a look at the maps where the texture is used (listed in the link at the top of this thread). But in most cases just having a look in the /textures/ directory should do the trick.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:44:41 am »
They still use glass for displays in the year 2080? Wow :D
(i didnt mean to critique the texture)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:46:57 am by Crystan »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:13:57 pm »
They still use glass for displays in the year 2080? Wow :D
(i didnt mean to critique the texture)

Most of the content was made before the game was set in the future, but if you want to go through and update all the maps go for it. ;)

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »
202 done

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:03 pm »
Cool Origin, it's nice to see lots of people chipping in on this, since it's not the most glamorous of projects.

And thanks for providing the normalmap as well. I'm not sure if that's in the correct format, but now that I've gone to look in our wiki, it looks like we have conflicting information about how the normalmap should be generated. My normalmaps usually generate partial opacity, according to the settings shown in this image. But in our artwork page we also link to different settings shown here.

Mattn or someone who knows better: which one should it be? I'll get the wiki changed, just let me know what to do. I hope I haven't been making all my normalmaps wrong!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:17 pm »
Two things:

1) nerf5000 and Origin: how do you want to be referenced in the licensing info? As Origin and nerf5000 or with your real names?

2) Origin, I noticed wall002 has a wall001 brother that's basically the same only with thinner ridges. Would you want to do that one as well?

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:27 pm »
Just go with Origin for the licensing stuff. And yes I noticed that one after I had started so i better do that one too :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:05 am »
Mattn or someone who knows better: which one should it be? I'll get the wiki changed, just let me know what to do. I hope I haven't been making all my normalmaps wrong!

the alpha channel is used in our normalmaps - the height is encoding in it.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:52 am »
Side node, prefer using texture name instead of number. The number can change.

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:03:24 am »
Cool Origin, it's nice to see lots of people chipping in on this, since it's not the most glamorous of projects.

And thanks for providing the normalmap as well. I'm not sure if that's in the correct format, but now that I've gone to look in our wiki, it looks like we have conflicting information about how the normalmap should be generated. My normalmaps usually generate partial opacity, according to the settings shown in this image. But in our artwork page we also link to different settings shown here.

I noticed this when going through the textures. I personally have never seen normal maps with transparency before. that being said they seem to render no different from standard ones.