project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New civilian (child) model  (Read 21773 times)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New civilian (child) model
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 10:11:32 am »
I think those are still jpgs, because Dave has just committed step 1 of 2 - Simply rename them to jpg & you will be able to open them...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:12 am »
@ Destructavator:

I TOLD YOU !!!
YOU DID NOT LISTEN !!!

Look here:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3505.msg35290#msg35290

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »
@ Destructavator:

I TOLD YOU !!!
YOU DID NOT LISTEN !!!

Look here:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3505.msg35290#msg35290

No, actually that was way back from the old computer.  The problem I'm having now is with the almost still-new computer's hard drive.

Yes, the texture issue is because the new computer's HD crapped out in the middle of an update process while I was making changes to the model's files.

@H-Hour:

No, it isn't completely finished yet, but is almost there.

Don't make a new custom texture just yet, I have to re-unwrap the body and change the map anyways so the fingers in the hands look right (right now they don't).

I'm done mapping the head, though, so if you want to have fun doing something to the kid's face, go ahead.  You can rename the .pngs to have a .jpg extension.

Last, I didn't update the source .blend file in the data_source yet, but I have it backed up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:20:24 pm by Destructavator »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 12:26:19 pm »
No worries, I'll wait.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:57 pm »
News Update:

I found the exact cause of the problem - the actual physical hardware on the new computer is OK, which is good.  The problem came from the BIOS and firmware for controlling the hard drives, along with the drivers for the hardware SATA controllers, they were not all-the-way up-to-date coming from the factory.  It was after the machine was shipped that Dell found bugs in some of that stuff, bugs which cause increasing, progressive corruption to hardware partitions over time until the volumes on any hard drives would eventually get so corrupted that they would fail, and have all kinds of errors, which is exactly what happened - I was getting all kinds of error messages even copying or moving files in Windows Explorer, about files being damaged or not existing where they should.  CHKDSK kept trying to fire up when I rebooted the machine.

I've updated the BIOS and everything else, but the damage had been done to the filesystem, so I've backed everything up and have erased the hard drive, and re-partitioned it too.

At this point I've got Windows 7 re-loaded with basic software installed, and now I'm reloading all my crap from backups and setting things up again.

Most of the really important software has been reinstalled, but it will be a while before I'm back in business.  The hard part is done though, and I've been up all night working on it.

I haven't put Linux back on yet (I multi-boot all my machines), but I'm just glad I didn't have to buy a new hard drive.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 04:09:10 am »
OK, I've got Blender re-installed.

I quickly re-mapped the texture for the kid (yet again), and this is probably going to be the final texture map because now everything shows properly on the model.

@H-Hour:
Sometime later I'll put stuff in the SVN, if you don't want to wait for the Blender source file and instead want to play with the texture directly, you can grab it from this post, which has it as a JPEG at 2048x2048.  Keep in mind the in-game texture will likely only be 1024x1024, so this allows you to draw on the image and then scale the whole thing down in your image editor (GIMP, Photoshop, etc.) with anti-aliasing and make things blend nicely.

On the other hand if you wait for the Blender source file later, that will have a 8192x8192 PNG inside to work with, as well as all the components and layers I used for all the parts.

I'll also export the MD2 and upload it shortly, so you can apply any texture you make and see the results.

You can also un-comment the lines in civilians.ufo to see the kid in-game.  (Animations still need work, though!).

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:19 am »
Also, here is a version with parts labeled, to make your life easier.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:36 am »
Btw, have you seen ?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 10:53:26 am »
Thanks Destructavator. I've never used Blender so I'll just be painting over the texture. Let me know when the MD2 is up so I can see the skin on it, but no hurry. This is just going to be a fun little side project for me.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 12:30:06 pm »
Destructavator, I like how you've put your avatar on the shirt. ;3

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:52 am »
OK, the updated MD2 should be in the SVN now.  I still need to update the animations, but the texture map won't change again.

Destructavator, I like how you've put your avatar on the shirt. ;3

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch, adding my personal "mark."

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »
I wanted to try a skin because I want to get a bit better at painting organic objects. My first task is to figure out how to wrinkle the pants. I tried lots of variations with more wrinkles, but in the end lots of wrinkles looked out of place, so I settled for just a few bits around the knee. Just the one leg for now...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »
I wanted to try a skin because I want to get a bit better at painting organic objects. My first task is to figure out how to wrinkle the pants. I tried lots of variations with more wrinkles, but in the end lots of wrinkles looked out of place, so I settled for just a few bits around the knee. Just the one leg for now...

Wrinkles, ripples, folds, etc. can be hard to do and get looking right - I don't know if these would help or not but I have some ripple textures in the SVN that can be blended in various ways with a solid texture to look kind of like folds and wrinkles in clothing:

http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/images/textures/tex_destructavator/

Of course it also depends on what type of material you want to make the clothing look like - light and thin, heavy and thick, wool/cotton or athletic polyester/nylon (or some blend material that combines them), denim, etc.  They all wrinkle or fold differently.

Also keep in mind that some 80 yrs in the future they may have even more materials, and who knows what will be in style for youth clothing by then?

Add to that the fact that often there can be more than one style that's popular at the same time, depending on where a kid is from (where they live) and what crowd they are attracted to.  Here in America, today, when I see kids I see variations of styles that can fall into at least a good half a dozen categories, each with various informal names that they call them.  ("Ah, your one of those [catagory] kids...")  Heck, I can't keep track of all of them anymore, there's more than there used to be here.  Some styles also come back after a while, but evolved with changes (more like mutations as I put it, some that I've seen lately are very strange).

Lately I've seen a lot of young people who are fascinated by 1980's styles, and use that as a starting point (but don't copy exactly, they change things).  I've also seen plenty of "Harry Potter" kids around where I live, although now that the Harry Potter thing is declining they are evolving into stranger things I can't identify.  Goth and Punk styles are still alive and well around here, as well as hip-hop culture looks.  Some kids I admit I just can't tell what the hell they are...   ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:58:21 pm by Destructavator »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 08:12:07 pm »
Thanks for the links to the resource images. I want to learn to paint them myself so that I can get a better sense of actually making shapes and not just random folds. But the resource images can be useful for other texturing purposes, and I've got them saved to my local folder of sampling images.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »
Just the pants so far... any critiques are welcome. Though I probably won't spend much time on this skin, it will help for the future.