project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Storming harvester  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Storming harvester
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
Crashed harvesters are shining example how predictable AI is.....especially when starting on the undamaged side of harvesters, aliens will grop at one point...one time it ended with my grenadier scoring 5 kills in one turn.

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 01:42:15 am »
He was having an EXCELLENT DAY. :)

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:35:35 am »
She, actually....and still, it wasn't as good day as the one when she scored total of 6 kills with various weapons...GL, laser pistol and plasma blade.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55:01 am »
In my game, i skip all terror missions using the automatic completing, but when i have to fight in the crashed one, i send all my soldiers to the walkable ship's space. Then we stun them (or sometimes bang them on a head (roflol) and clearing the area.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »
Just a question, what hacked items are you using? :D

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 02:23:24 pm »
Used before - assault rifle (split shot - 1 tu 2 shots and eats 1 ammo out of 184), but right now - combat armor (level 1) with 100% defense against everything. Nothing else yet.

Do you want the whole game which is modded?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 04:18:05 pm »
No thanks, I prefer playing fair....

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 06:25:20 pm »
No thanks, I prefer playing fair....

I'm working on this mod....

::)

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »
lol nice

Offline nagy.m.bear

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:30 pm »
I hope they will at least have an off-hand penalty for that gun. ;D

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:21 am »
You mean hand-off penalty? ;D It would be that the cheater would lose a hand (in a real fight, because cheats are not available in a real world) just to get a handgun. But how will he pick up/use it? He has only one hand! ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:07:31 am by PAUL1UZ5 »

Offline shazzi2k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 04:40:33 am »
In terror missions, most of the time you gotta move your soldiers into harvester to kill all those aliens onboard.
Problem is, it often turns out that ...
1.Soldiers gathering near the aft doors, getting ready to storm inside. End turn.
2.Aliens turn. Aliens pop out from aft doors, taking a few free shots then retreat back in.
3.Human casulties.

It doesn't happen everytime, only half the times, but I'm playing with zero casualty rule (one die, retry), so either
-I would like some advices to make attacking into harvester a little less hazardous for my favorite soldiers or
-Should I use 1 or 2 newbies soldiers as "expendable" scout ?

It took me 6 in-game months to grow those stupid recruits with 20 across all stats into something worthy as defender of the earth with 40+ proficiency. So I can't really afford to lose them ... or should I ?

IR don't really help much, cuz in order to get close enough to scan, that also put the scanner in danger of getting killed in enemy turn when enemies just walk around the corner to give a few blast before go back inside.

Hmmm, this never seems to happen to me at all. All aliens seen to be at the craft entrance barely inside or out and about on the map. I would to see more aliens on the ship thought

Offline s9ilent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:41 pm »
I position my troops on the side of the wingtips (out of line of sight, so the aliens have to cross 2 corners to get LOS on my troops)
Position one troop outside at the side near the front, and use googles to look into the ship.

Once I have gathered enough strength, I usually run one GL up, snap shot, run back.
If I think it's clear, I run one assault, to FAR away, (behind cover if possible) with line of sight, to the side of the exit. And put him on overwatch. (possibly send a medic as well). This guys job is just to draw fire (and live... hopefully)

If there are aliens there, they will jump out and engage the guy at long range.
At which point I resume grenade launchers running out, snap shot, run back
After a while, you will reach a breakpoint, where you have enough troops (and they have too few) and you can just rush in from the wingtips (note, you WILL need close combats to do this, as you consume close to 20 TU's getting from the wings to the doors)

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 05:53:53 am »
Haven't searched the changelog, but I thought I'd note that I seem to be seeing more AI usage of plasma grenades inside the harvester in 2.3.1 vs. 2.3.0.   It's dangerous to both them (own-goaling does happen) and you (since the entranceways are very conductive to bunching up, making you quite vulnerable to mass casualties from the grenades).

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »
On another side note, I can now confirm that it is indeed possible to shoot through at least some of the interior walls in a harvester.  The exterior walls may be too thick; I haven't really tested the ceiling of the cockpit, but I'm fairly sure that the side and rear walls are impenetrable.