project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Disassembly time  (Read 9413 times)

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Disassembly time
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:22 am »
I'm don't think I understand how UFO disassembly works.  Right now, I've got 5 harvesters in a yard and I've selected one to disassemble.  On 12/6, it's showing that there are 553 hours remaining.  I play for a while and then check again on Dec 10th, but it's only showing 7 hours less (446).   I'm confused...  ???

ChemBro

Re: Disassembly time
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:46:19 am »
Maybe you should check your calculator:

553  - 446 = 107

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:52:42 pm »
 ;D

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:04:30 pm »
Maybe you should check your calculator:

553  - 446 = 107

Doh!  I guess I was just so certain that it was taking too long that I read what I expected to see.  It's just frustrating because I've got two Dragons sitting there with no fuel.  I feel like I've been working on that harvester forever!  Maybe it's time to build another base and load it up with engineers...

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:25 am »
Not a bad idea, although of course there's the huge 20-day initial lag while you get your antimatter storage set up.

For what it's worth, it's strictly linear (i.e. man-hours required / # of workers you can use, and all workers will be used unless you for some reason hired more than your workshops can use), and at least in 2.3-stable there is no penalty for distance to the UFO yard.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:31:53 am »
Not a bad idea, although of course there's the huge 20-day initial lag while you get your antimatter storage set up.

For what it's worth, it's strictly linear (i.e. man-hours required / # of workers you can use, and all workers will be used unless you for some reason hired more than your workshops can use), and at least in 2.3-stable there is no penalty for distance to the UFO yard.
Actually, I've got the antimatter storage set up in two bases now (I forgot when I tore down the first one and lost it all :()  But you can't share across bases, right?  IOW, if I have 30 guys in base A and 30 guys in base B, I can't put 60 guys on tearing down a single UFO, can I?

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:58 am »
I don't see a way to share any production task (which would include disassembly) across multiple bases, so -- you could have the two bases working on two UFOs at one time but not two bases on one UFO, AFAICT.

ChemBro

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:54 am »
IOW, if I have 30 guys in base A and 30 guys in base B, I can't put 60 guys on tearing down a single UFO, can I?

That wouldn't make any sense. You don't cut a UFO in half and disassemble it in two bases, don't you?  8)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »
Actually, I've got the antimatter storage set up in two bases now (I forgot when I tore down the first one and lost it all :()  But you can't share across bases, right?  IOW, if I have 30 guys in base A and 30 guys in base B, I can't put 60 guys on tearing down a single UFO, can I?

No, sharing the job is not possible like that neither the storages.
However I'm thinking about a feature you could stop and continue disassembling of UFOs - like start disassemlying with 10 workers at base A, when base B built up and hired 40 workers, stop disassemly at base A, continue at base B..

-geever

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
No, sharing the job is not possible like that neither the storages.
However I'm thinking about a feature you could stop and continue disassembling of UFOs - like start disassemlying with 10 workers at base A, when base B built up and hired 40 workers, stop disassemly at base A, continue at base B..

-geever

That's an interesting idea.

What I've done for now is simply tear down all the labs at one base and rebuild workshops in their place.  I don't have anything left to research right now anyway.  Since there are no penalties for hiring/firing, I can just replace those 40 scientists with 20 workers.  And re-hire if I need them later.

Which brings up an interesting idea: is any consideration being done to having scientist skill levels?  It seems like a scientist who's been working on Alien research for 6 months would definitely have an edge over some new guy that's never worked in the program. 

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 05:10:11 pm »
Since there are no penalties for hiring/firing, I can just replace those 40 scientists with 20 workers.  And re-hire if I need them later.

I'm gonna change this in 2.4.

Which brings up an interesting idea: is any consideration being done to having scientist skill levels?  It seems like a scientist who's been working on Alien research for 6 months would definitely have an edge over some new guy that's never worked in the program. 

Scientists and workers won't have stats in UFO:AI, sorry.

-geever

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:40:49 pm »
That wouldn't make any sense. You don't cut a UFO in half and disassemble it in two bases, don't you?  8)

Who's to say that the disassembly doesn't take place in the yard itself, and that therefore it should be possible to pool workers up to the yard's capacity?

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:38 am »
Who's to say that the disassembly doesn't take place in the yard itself, and that therefore it should be possible to pool workers up to the yard's capacity?

I think you're right... Why don't workers just go there and get what they need???

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:09 am »

First of all: it would be more difficult to implement it. Currently everything is produced/disassembled at exactly one base.
Second: Where would you put the materials you extracted, which base?

So the answer is no. it won't happen.

-geever

Offline CheesyExterminator

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »
So, to disassemble a UFO and get everything from it, I need to have antimatter storage in a base with ufo yard ?
I'm tearing them down in 2 of my factory bases, one base have yard but no AM storage, and another one have AM storage but no yard ...