project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feedback 2.3  (Read 25318 times)

Offline Olaf80

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Feedback 2.3
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:27:26 pm »
Im playing 2.3 (german) for nearly a week and no not the versions before:

Optic: Great!!! I love it: Its my god old XCom and the models Ive seen are all great (I know the problems with texture from some of my mods)
Interface: Easy to understand and easy to use
Translation: There was only one tech with englisch text by the lascannon (no translation perhaps?)
Tactical Mission: Easy Controll of my soldier, nice Alien AI (they take cover *g*), no saving but I read somethere that this is a tech. problem. Okay sometimes I lost some time but I survive it :-)
Automission: Nice and usefull after some frustating tries.
Different typs og Aircrafts: Not only one Type of starting Interceptor is fantastic
Equipment for Aircrafts: YES!!!! My old Dream by XCom not only to have Weapons for my Interceptors
External Buildings like SAMs: Cool, in the beginning very useful to have a chance to shoot down an ufo and the ufo storrage seems somelike Area 51
Research: Good Idear with not only Laserweapon for Human technology, that it seems that I need a special number of Aliens is different but a very interesting solution.

What I miss: Some Research decription are missing but It seems that its on work(if not i can try to write some)

Suggestions: Advanced equipment like ECM or Tageting Computer (like the alien armor) based on alien technology (Im playing at the moment with to different Alien Races.. perhaps there comes more but I havebt read the wiki.. (spoiler...*g*)

Short: I wish the publisher like EA would work like you!!!!!!!!! and I enjoy the game

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback 2.3
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:25:05 am »
Thx on behalf of the team and welcome to the forums :)
What I miss: Some Research decription are missing but It seems that its on work(if not i can try to write some)
Plz start with a *list* of the missing descriptions you encountered. (sometimes they are simply not 'linked in') .

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:34:01 am »
Starchaser-class Interceptor comes to mind -- one start research on it (at least in the version of 2.3 that's pulled down by the Gentoo ebuild), but has no pre-research text.   

Wiki page

( http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Aircraft/Starchaser-class_Interceptor )

is basically a stub, so it's presumably just implementation running ahead of documentation.  Haven't run this game long enough to actually finish the research and see if there's a buildable interceptor w/ stats and all.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:41:03 am »
Speaking of Starchaser, it actually has normal engines and is quite useless-it is just Stilletto with double range.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 05:08:16 am »
Speaking of Starchaser, it actually has normal engines and is quite useless-it is just Stilletto with double range.

Thanks for the tip -- I wasn't sure whether to build Dragons or wait for the Starchaser.  You must made my decision for me.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:52:39 am »
Starchaser is not fully incorporated to the game yet, so this is known problem.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:20 am »
My feedback for the latest version is that it lags... Classic version plz my pc can't handle the current one.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »
'Bomb' also has no description in the 2.3 release, IIRC.  Would be reluctant to use it without knowing how it's triggered, or whether it has a large blast radius.  :D

Main bug I've run into has been the (already known and tracked) bugged Tropical Harvester map -- can't reach second floor, some doorways can be fired through but not walked through, mega-super-tough-and-brainless Ortnoks walking up and down the stairs with plasma blasters not firing at all while getting roasted and electrolased repeatedly.

Other main bug is some blinking ground textures (usually underneath ships or the like), but seeing as I'm running a Gentoo build w/ 2.6.34 + DRI + X.org drivers + Mesa + w/ a Mobility Radeon X1400, and there have been new ebuilds lately for multiple parts of that stack, some graphical weirdness is probably to be expected.

Minor issues I've noticed include the ability to waste TUs by using a medkit on oneself (appears to never help, probably should say 0% instead of 100%, whereas somebody else using a medkit on you appears to be 100% min(20, maxHP - minHP); and the 'use goggles' button not turning off when (current TUs) >= TUs-to-use-goggles > (TUs - reserved TUs).

VaeliusNoctu

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:52:23 am »
Miss:

The Snake Mans from UFO AI 221
The medium and strong Armor (not Implemented?)
Alienbases (dont found one)

contra:

-Too much alien activity, rest periods are too short
-Some levels like player base seem too large for the AI. I have played dozens of rounds without a basic struggle to meet aliens, it's not hard that is boring.
-The Glowing effects do not work for me. Probably the problem is only a error in my PC.

Pro:

-nice new Maps
-new Technologies like the Stun Gun
-The External Buildings
-The new Reaction Fire System
-The New Graphics and the Quarantine Stations images like the Living and autopsy Alien Pics
-The new Soldier Ranks i have my first Lutenent nice
-The autocombat system

Bugs?:

-sometimes the game freezes while Loading a map
-Reaction fire on the wrong Soldier. Aliens shoot at the Soldiers standing, not on the runs by him
-Aliens shoot at civilians miles away instead of Phalanx soldiers nearby
-Some Pathfinding Bugs

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:47 am »
Other main bug is some blinking ground textures (usually underneath ships or the like), but seeing as I'm running a Gentoo build w/ 2.6.34 + DRI + X.org drivers + Mesa + w/ a Mobility Radeon X1400, and there have been new ebuilds lately for multiple parts of that stack, some graphical weirdness is probably to be expected.

Minor issues I've noticed include the ability to waste TUs by using a medkit on oneself (appears to never help, probably should say 0% instead of 100%, whereas somebody else using a medkit on you appears to be 100% min(20, maxHP - minHP); and the 'use goggles' button not turning off when (current TUs) >= TUs-to-use-goggles > (TUs - reserved TUs).
Tropical harvester is fixed in the patch.

Would you mind to create SF-bugtracker items for the quoted stuff ? Sounds rather new to me.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:48:43 am »
'k, will do after some testing.

Was a bit wrong on the goggle usage -- there IS a bug, but it's not based on reaction fire (that was coincidental), but what's happening is that the code that is used when deciding whether or not the button should be lit thinks that the TU cost is 10, but it actually costs 12 to scan -- hence the disconnect.  Tested this by crouching up/down (3 TUs ea) or passing grenade from belt to hand (2 TUs it seems).  Scan stops working at 11, lights out at 9.  Will file but need to head out now.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:41 am »
> The Snake Mans from UFO AI 221
> Alienbases (dont found one)
They are both in game. Play some more to get shevaars and alien bases. And particle weapons too.

> The medium and strong Armor (not Implemented?)
Don`t know about this point.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 06:57:01 am »
Filed https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3031933&group_id=157793&atid=805242 -- my suspicion is that the 10 TU "throw" mode is what's fooling the UI code into thinking that the goggles are still usable with 10 TUs. 

Also added
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3031936&group_id=157793&atid=805242
for the blinking textures.

Double-checked medikit, cannot reproduce so not filing an issue there.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49:17 pm »
Thx Lew, someone will sooner or later take care of that.

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »
i know u dont like that questions, but is there anywhere a 2.4 todo? havent found one.
what are the aims for next release?

will there be a 2.3.1 bugfix version - maybe with new gui? ;)
well... i am just very excited. great work until now.