project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Problem getting uforadiant set up  (Read 2418 times)

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Problem getting uforadiant set up
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »
I'm following the Mapping for Dummies guide and I'm having a problem getting started under Windows XP.  The directions say:

When you load UFORadiant it will ask you for the engine path. This is the path to the ufo.exe file which should be in the base folder where you installed the game. If you've bypassed this without setting the path, you can set it in the editor by going to Edit > Preferences... and selecting the Paths option under Settings.

However, I also get asked for "compiler binary."  Is this ufo2map.exe?   I tried that and it then goes ahead and seems to load normally (i.e., I can load the subway map and I see it with textures), but when I try to select a texture on the right-hand panel, I get a dialog box titled Loading Textures with the clicked on texture (e.g., text_mattn/) quickly followed by an error message:

"GtkGLExt-WARNING (recursed) **: cannot create GdkGLContext aborting..."

Then it shuts down.  Any ideas?

Offline shaunc311

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Problem getting uforadiant set up
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:45:12 pm »
I was just playing around with this for the first time yesterday and left the compiler binary blank.  It seemed to work ok.  I got pretty far into the tutorial before I had to do yardwork.  Textures all seemed ok, with the exception of the one not being there anymore.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Problem getting uforadiant set up
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:31 am »
I haven't seen this error before. A bit of searching on Google shows that others have had that error with GTKRadiant, but it usually happens with Vista. (UFORadiant is a fork of GTKRadiant, so it has much of the same base.)

The one thing people talked about was right-clicking on the .exe, selecting properties and then trying different compatibility settings.

If that doesn't help, try making a fuller bug report over at UFOAI's sourceforge page. If you can, include details on what version you're running (is it the uforadiant that shipped with the official 2.3 installer?), and include the text of the log that appears in the window at the bottom of UFORadiant. If you can't see that log window, hover your mouse over the very bottom of the lower grids and you should be able to raise those windows up, revealing a little log window.