project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Say how much you love UFO AI here! :D :D  (Read 3877 times)

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Say how much you love UFO AI here! :D :D
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
Hey guys! :D
Just making a small post here for all those guys that want to say a simple THANK YOU to all the developers and contributors to UFO AI. I was a huge X-COM game series fun and I just cannot describe how happy I am for this game. :D

Congratulations to all guys that contribute to make UFO AI a great game!

Cheers,
Tzzimy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:03:37 pm by tzzimy »

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Say how much you love UFO AI here! :D :D
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
Speaking as somebody who never played X-COM but did go through JA2, I'm quite glad that the squad-level tactical sim genre isn't quite dead yet.

Offline dingoperson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:54 am »
It's a very good game with a lot of potential, and if I get the job I'm interviewing for tomorrow imma make some contributions : p

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:48:22 pm »
@dingoperson BEST OF LUCK! :D
@Lew Yard squad-level tactical sim will never die! ;) Turn-based AI's are, at least until now, better and easier to develop than real-time based. Although I do recall that X-Com Apocalypse when real-time mode was chosen, the aliens were hiding and shooting behind walls almost with the same AI realism like in turn based game.

I will definitely try to contribute on every aspect of the game I can, but first I am trying to compile it on Kubuntu 10.04 which proves to be a little tricky but as soon I manage to do it, I will start serious contributing! I have low hopes I can do it on a VirtualBox but what the hell, I love challenges and if I make this happen that would be awesome...

Keep the /cheers coming below, forum!  8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:54:38 pm by tzzimy »

BarbieCue

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:43:42 am »
I cant stop scratching my head. help! even on the easiest difficulty I am getting pwned. Any advice? Awesome though! Great game .. Kudos to the developers and contributors.. :D

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 02:03:46 am »
Welcome m8! :D

You can come to the irc channel for a net-coffee query chat, for questions or advices, or express your anger for those tough to beat aliens on easy level!

irc://irc.freenode.org/ufoai

Keep the /cheers coming below, forum!   8)

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:28:40 pm »
I cant stop scratching my head. help! even on the easiest difficulty I am getting pwned. Any advice? Awesome though! Great game .. Kudos to the developers and contributors.. :D

In battle, you mean?

In the beginning, when you only have Combat Armor, it's not hard to die from a single shot.  So move methodically -- think about where your enemies would likely hide; make heavy use of IR goggles when you're approaching buildings or the like; having soldiers on overwatch (reaction fire) may help.  And keep in mind that the aliens can sort of see you through walls, which can work against them (i.e. having one soldier get and keep their attention that way right outside a building -- away from doors or windows) while flankers approach from another direction.

Flamethrowers are brutal close-in, the grenade launcher can be used to nail enemies around corners or through windows and doorways, the sniper rifle is more accurate at long range (lower spread) than just about any alien weapon you're likely to encounter for a while.  Laser rifles, DF cartridges, heavy lasers, nanocomposite armor should all be high-priority research (the armor is only researchable after you capture some alien armor, IIRC); the laser rifles are fairly quick and accurate, the heavy lasers are less ammo-efficient but have more punch.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:57:36 pm »
In battle, you mean?

I think you're going to offtopic here a bit...

-geever

Offline Outlawstar15a2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:21:20 am »
I love UFO AI so much that if I had the money and the info required I'd pay for and send pizza and soda to the devs for a whole month! Bless you for your hard work and may you be successful in all endeavors.

Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake.