project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Automission exp.  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Grymling

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Automission exp.
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »
My soldiers never gained experience during automissions. It would be helpful if you could, since you don't always want to micromanage in missions when you are busy doing research etc.
I don't know if its suppose to be like that, or just never thought of.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Automission exp.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »
Well, lower gains are the point of doing automissions...so if you want something, you gotta do the mission.

I do about 1/4 of my missions by auto, yet by the end of first year one of my soldiers already reached rank of Lt. Col., so it doesn't seem to be so big problem.

Offline Grymling

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:46 pm »
Ok, It seemed like my soldiers had no gain whatsoever, only the UFO selling at the end. I agree on the lower gain for automissioning vs micromanaging.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:51 pm »
They don't get any exp. All you get from automission is indeed UFO and mission success. As I said, the purpose is that people won't jsut saveload and autoresolve every mission.

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:49:00 am »
Well, in my 2.3-game, I am at the end of my third month now ... since about 10 days in RL.

I would sure like to finally get over with that damn month, have my nanocomposite-armor researched, start producing it and move on in the game. Too bad, NorthAmerica is being flooded with ufos, causing me two missions per ingame day, most of which I couldn't even auto-resolve if I wanted to because the option isn't there.
I am pretty perfectionist and seem to be needing cash badly so auto-resolve isn't really an option for me anyways.

If the ufo-rate keeps it up like this I won't be able to finish my game before I turn 60 years ... My soldiers however will be promoted to Supreme Commander with 100s stats all over the place in no time. Pretty good career going from newbie to invincible in a couple months at PHALANX. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:50:49 am by Ufanatic »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:33:42 pm »
Automission is not finished feature, will change in future. But I'm not sure the soldiers should get experience from that. Maybe a very little. Players should be encouraged to play missions themselves. If automission would be the same as manual noone would play battles and the game would be too easy.

-geever

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »
I always think of automissions as event when local army managed to get to site first and beat the aliens. After all, by time I start doing automissions, lasers should be army standard issue, and I already sold hundreds of plasma weapons, so I suppose local armies are bit better prepared than at the beginning of war.

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:08:41 am »
Players should be encouraged to play missions themselves. If automission would be the same as manual noone would play battles and the game would be too easy.

-geever

Maybe the real issue is ... fun?
Some people have fun doing low level tactical stuff.
Some people have fun doing resource allocation stuff.
Some people find a small amount of tactical fun, and large amounts tedious.

Let each person play what they find fun.

Offline oliphaunte

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:20:58 am »
Perhaps some form on AI estimation on how well your men performed during auto-missions? I understand those who say to just play the missions, but in all honesty, some players like the tactical portion of managing the base more than the battles. Plus, there are just too many battles to fight if you actually want to get somewhere, along-side all those alien ships popping on radar every 5 minutes. Becomes annoying after a while that you can't get through one day without some ship or battle popping up every hour or so...

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:49:26 am »
I've noticed and struggled with this issue myself, too many UFOs appearing too often after a point.

Perhaps the game mechanics need to be improved so that the chances of a UFO being spawned vary a bit more, so that sometimes they "rest" with very few and other times they get aggressive as the game goes on.

Offline parjlarsson

• Rookie
  • Chaos Gate next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:00:06 am »
I've noticed and struggled with this issue myself, too many UFOs appearing too often after a point.

Perhaps the game mechanics need to be improved so that the chances of a UFO being spawned vary a bit more, so that sometimes they "rest" with very few and other times they get aggressive as the game goes on.

Agreed. After about fifty times through the same old downed fighter/scout it's just not all that awesome anymore. If it was me I'd auto mission through all the regular map tiles that I've seen already, and then stick to when I need live aliens, or it's something super cool like a special mission.

With a terror mission and three downed fighters/scouts on the geoscape it just becomes a not-fun chore. Or maybe I should start situating my bases with half the radar over water.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:00 am »
Personally I think a slight XP gain in automission would not be a big problem.
Something like 1/10 of the normal XP gain when you play it, or something similar.

I don't mind either way though.

What I think automission is useful at is to skip missions when you don't feel
like you want to do them right now, because you research something, or
want to wait for another mission etc... it just allows you to skip time a bit
and this is a good feature in itself, with or without XP :)

After about fifty times through the same old downed fighter/scout it's just not all that awesome anymore. If it was me I'd auto mission through all the regular map tiles that I've seen already, and then stick to when I need live aliens, or it's something super cool like a special mission.

With a terror mission and three downed fighters/scouts on the geoscape it just becomes a not-fun chore. Or maybe I should start situating my bases with half the radar over water.

I also agree, perhaps we can come up with more ideas to make more and different missions.
I mean, ideas to lessen the frustration... perhaps more non-standard mission types?

Something crazy, like "rescue scientists" ... and if you succeed here, you get a few extra research guys for frees.

(It should have to be easy to implement though... we don't want to distract too much from the main game with these small ideas.)

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 07:07:34 am »
automissions should allow at least 75% of the exp i think. the "problem" of an automission is already, that your men die more often. like keybounce i think you should give players a bit freedom.

btw destructavator: great your working on it :).

Offline tremlett

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:30:31 am »
Yes, I agree with the sarin lower gain is the point of doing auto mission, unless otherwise your soldier will not get any experience. I have absorbed many people whose soldier had good experience since they followed lower gain in auto mission. It will be really helpful to you if your soldier gets good experience during the automission.I think the ipad version is much better than the PC version,free of bug and graphics is awesome.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:02:31 pm by tremlett »

Offline Kai Lae

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »
Maybe the real issue is ... fun?
Some people have fun doing low level tactical stuff.
Some people have fun doing resource allocation stuff.
Some people find a small amount of tactical fun, and large amounts tedious.

Let each person play what they find fun.

I'm pretty new here, but if I could make a suggestion. Some people do like the strategic aspect more than the tactical and would prefer not to run every mission. For them, perhaps you could look into making XP gain configurable from the user settings? Seems like that way people would get what they want, no matter what it is.