project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Underwater?  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Soul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Underwater?
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »
Hi guys, what do you think about it? It comes from this thread.

I guess it's not a good idea to make a new game in underwater environments (too boring). But some of those ideas could be incorporated into this game. For example, alien bases on Earth could be located only underwater and require a specifically designed craft/ship to get there and dock to entrance. Also, in 2083, there could be some small human underwater settlements attacked by aliens, i.e. built close to deuterium mining plants for our thermonuclear reactors - most important since aliens interrupted all deliveries from Mars (in Martian underground water tanks there's much greater deuterium percentage then on Earth). Of course, all of these would require whole new, interesting research branches.

Wait, humanity already made it to Mars in this storyline?

Well, we could easily do it by 2083. Although I guess we won't. But, hypothetically, we could build those clumsy ships that look like space stations with engines, some modules for transport from the ground and one mining plant (which could mine enough deuterium for one third of Earth's electrical power needs - thermonuclear reactors are very powerful).

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:38:13 pm »
In short. no.

...In long. NO!

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49:09 pm »
...In long. NO!

Sorry, but you did that wrong. It's:

In short:
no.

In long:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

In open-source:
It's DIY.

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:43:03 am »
@DiDiT, Hertzila:
Wonderful replies !  ;)

But I have to ask: is there also a reason that comes with that answer?
Or you two just enjoy slapping another one down?

@Soul:
So, you'd like the Underwater approach... OK.

How do you believe that will improve the game experience? What will it bring in new and fresh?
But perhaps the first question should be: why did you think about this, to start with?

Offline Soul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:33:51 am »
It's ok, I don't mind some jokes :)

Although DiDiT's avatar makes him look like an irritating moron (no offense, I'm just talking about avatar :))

So, you'd like the Underwater approach... OK.
How do you believe that will improve the game experience?
I thought it could enrich the game's universe, add few interesting research options and add a little (very little, hehe) verity to missions' tactics by placing soldiers at the entrance instead of around the aircraft.

And first of all, in my ideas there's no need to make textures for underwater "exterior" environment. Although underwater settlements could use a few new textures for some specific equipment, etc. Also, i.e. a 2D picture of exterior view while loading mission and some nice lighting effect inside, like in places close to windows or all over the map if it was located under a dome.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:37:04 am by Soul »

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »
Sorry, but I remember that the devs have rejected underwater/sea/shoreline missions many times.
So you have to do it yourself (DIY) and even then it most likely won't make it into the official branch.

Also, humanity never made it into Mars and we still don't have fusion power (-> need for deuterium for other than research purposes).

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:15:57 pm »
Although DiDiT's avatar makes him look like an irritating moron (no offense, I'm just talking about avatar )

Its cool, that why I picked it. :3
Also, hope I didn't offend you with my bluntness...

*edit*

Oh, and before I forget!
you two just enjoy slapping another one down?

well... when you put it like that...

yes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:24:55 pm by DiDiT »

Offline EaglePryde

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:19 pm »
Sorry, but I remember that the devs have rejected underwater/sea/shoreline missions many times.
So you have to do it yourself (DIY) and even then it most likely won't make it into the official branch.

Also, humanity never made it into Mars and we still don't have fusion power (-> need for deuterium for other than research purposes).

But we are researching alien technology (ingame), so it would be viable to be able to modify it to our need in terms of travel or even underwater settlements. Realism somewhere would end with alien research because you eighter go the "scifi" way or alien technology would look similar to humans in terms of logic and wouldn't be alien anymore  ;D

Just my 2 cents worth on this stuff