project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: DiDiT's somewhat crazy weapon suggestion thread  (Read 4602 times)

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
DiDiT's somewhat crazy weapon suggestion thread
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
Let me tell you all a story...

Once upon a time, I was just thinking about how awesome ugv's are going to be in-game when they are added, I thought to myself:
"Hang on, What kind of anti-armour weapons are the aliens packing other than particle cannons and plasma blades?"
I'm pretty certain the successes with UGV's in battles do not gone unnoticed by the aliens and so they would roll out some sort new anti-armour weaponry to combat them other than just particle weapons. after giving it a little thought, I came up with a few weapon ideas. but then I realised... "WHOA! theres nowhere for me, or anyone for that matter, to post their crazy weapon ideas!..."

And So, in a thinly veiled attempt to market my weapon idea, I made this thread as a sort of dumping zone for any crazy ideas anyone has and wants to post. Simple as that.

I'll start:

The FOS ATMS (Forced Oxidation Stimulator Anti-Tank Missile System).
-Utilising a powerful mix of acids, the aliens have developed a single-use(?) missile system that rapidly speeds up the rate of oxidation almost anything it hits, turning armour to rust and severely burning flesh. The chemical canister inside the rocket it's self is lined with a gold film that prevents the rocket itself from disintegration.

The FOS Thrower / The FOS Flame-thrower Cartridge
-The aliens have taken the same powerful mix of acids used in the FOS ATMS and created a small flame-thrower not much different from our flamer designs and filled it with the deadly compound. we have been somewhat successful in putting  the chemical in a flame-thrower cartridge of our own.

Particle Hammer. (Essentially a plasma blade cross-bred with a particle cannon, giving it extra power to blow up ugv's)
-You would have thought that melee weapons were something a UGV operator would have to worry about but it seems the aliens have different plans...
Using what seems to be a standard particle pistol accelerator embedded inside a large battle-hammer, this heavy yet deadly CQC weapon is the bane of any armoured vehicles, a clear step up from the plasma-blade.

The particle accelerator itself is armed and fired via the a system much like its plasma blade cousin; by twisting part of its handle the acceleration process begins, building up a powerful particle steam that is released the second the hammer hits a solid object, ripping though armour with ease. if the hammer is not armed it becomes nothing more but a simple, yet still daunting, alien battle-hammer.

I have more than just those, I'll post more ideas later. Anyone else got any-more weapon they want to add to this idea scrapheap?

PS: It's late, so please dont grill me for any spelling mistakes or typo's I may have made...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:19:57 pm by DiDiT »

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: DiDiT's somewhat crazy weapon suggestion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:35:29 am »
Particle hammer? Plasma blade should tear any UGV apart, unless it is coated with alien aircraft armor, making it almost immobile.

Judging by alien technology, they aren't fond of explosives, so we're left with two concepts. Anti-materiel rifle, that is pretty much particle cannon. I'd guess that in response on UGVs, they would deploy some EMP technology.

Offline SonofAres800

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:01:19 am »
i have to agree with Sarin here, a particle hammer that can be used against vehicles sounds similar to another weapon on a different game, no points of guessing which.

For repelling UGVs, the aliens could use a short range disruptor weapon that disables, or even destroy any robotic organism. Also, PHALANX scientists could come up with a countermeasure or their own disruptor to use against the bloodspiders?

Offline val

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:05:58 am »
Alien anti armor weapons? hmm..
I suggested on the UFOAI wiki proposal page an alien KKV launcher that would launch a high speed antimatter rocket.  No warhead, but doesn't need it.  If it did....but i'd rather not brood on that.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:44:45 am »
Acid... It would be too violent.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
I have a crazy UGV idea of sorts...

Think like this:

But with a payload.

The basis for this idea, is sheer common sense. if it were me, I would send my Christmas bonus on a cheap old RC car which I can drive into an alien ship ahead of me, and if I had a couple of grenades going spare I'd invest in some gaffer tape, a webcam, and a remote detonator.

Bingo, an expendable (and fun) asset. Park it in a harvester stairwell, wait for the alien scum to come down the stairs, and Goodnight Vienna.

The idea I had was, you give it a fixed range for the duration of a mission (say 120 points) and once it's gone that's your lot - all you can do in any subsequent round, is detonate. However, you should be able to detonate it at any time, provided a soldier has clear line of sight.

As for the payload, it would have to be sensible - totally annihilate any living thing in an adjacent block, stun anything within a 2 block radius, intimidate any alien in a 3 block radius, and of course destroy the toy.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 07:15:41 am »
If you read UFOpaedia....there is an explanation why PHALANX doesn't use guided anti-infantry rockets...aliens use tremendous amonut of ECM even on the ground, if it disrupts guiding systems of military rockets, it will definitely disrupt signal from this.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »
And what about unguided, antimatter-matter straight-shooting missiles? I think that only an electromagnetic impulse might damage rockets trajectory.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:16 am »
If we've had wire-guided missiles for 40+ years now (and we have... current-day versions have ranges well in excess of 3km, incidentally), I don't think a wire-guided toy car with a bomb would be very difficult.

Offline val

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:25:06 am »
Wire guided? The line will hang up(literally) or get cut by something.  Better  stick to unguided.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »
but if it would have an uninterruptable nav system, then the enemies would be history.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 12:02:44 am »
but if it would have an uninterruptable nav system, then the enemies would be history.

Except for enemies with scissors :D

Anyway, wire operated warheads in urban enviroment isn't a good idea, there simply isn't enough time for operator to react in tight areas.