project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New CodeBlocks Official (Stable) Release!  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
New CodeBlocks Official (Stable) Release!
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »
I'm surprised this news wasn't posted already, but the CodeBlocks IDE development team just released (finally!) a new, stable, official version.

I'm currently downloading it (it isn't on sourceforge, but it is on Berlios - the project page has links), and will report back soon on how it works building UFO:AI (among other projects I'm working on).

They also have a release that includes some version of MinGW, although I'm not sure what version, but I'm guessing it is one of the more recent ones.  I'll find out, though, and I'll also see if it works building UFO:AI.  If it does, it might simplify the process for those who want to compile from SVN without having a script do it for them.

I'll report back soon on how it works...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New CodeBlocks Official (Stable) Release!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »
It works quite smoothly - UFO:AI compiles just fine with it, although I didn't try the version with MinGW pre-packaged, I still used my own copy of MinGW.

Now we don't need to pass around beta downloads of C::B, we can just pass around the dependencies with libs and include folders.

;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »
Any reason why we should use that version and not the one we're already providing?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:59:32 pm »
Any reason why we should use that version and not the one we're already providing?

Because the nightly builds we've used before were not complete, and it shows - I've tried using the nightly builds to code other projects, and some things are broken, other things not implemented yet, and to top it off those nightly builds we've passed around do sometimes crash.  I've personally had much better luck with the stable release versions of C::B where just about everything just works, because it is a finished product, well-polished.

I've experienced this on more than one Windows-running computer.

BTW, I found out the MinGW-bundled download version uses MinGW version 4.4.1, for those who are wondering.

Aesten

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07:56 am »
I snagged the C::B stable a day or two after it came out and have been compiling via pointing Muton's script to the install directory. The mingw included does not work however. I think certain things that muton's script looks for like one of the 7z files aren't in there. I tried copying the mingw files from muton's to the other mingw(without overwriting any files), and it didn't work. I think i'll try the other way, copy the mingw from the c::b over to muton's and see how that works.