project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UI Overlay as in BI:TAW  (Read 1536 times)

bishop

UI Overlay as in BI:TAW
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:43:22 pm »
Hello,
with rather short ranged weapons (like Flame, Grenade launcher) I often have to calculate how much I need to advance in order to get in weapon range - or if im around the corner can I reach the alien there?, etc. these kind of things...
Another annoying thing is to check for a free fire-line, especially with the sniper rifle over a rather long distance and along of a lot obstacles, first you move your character, then choose fire, -mode, choose enemy, check fireline and then repeat - this can be quite tedious ...

However fortunately :) I played a lot of Battle Isle The Andosian Wars (BI:TAW) and they developed an UI Overlay which really helps here:

What you can see here:
1. yellow line - weapon range
2. magenta line - field of view
3. red line - enemies in weapon range and with free fire-line
4. light blue terrain - you can move here and have still points left for one shot
5. dark blue terrain - you can move here, but you will not have any points left for shooting

I would propose to implement the points 1. to 3. and 5. I guess number 4 cannot be implement so easily because of different points for shooting.
Number 3. should be altered that there is a line drawn to every enemy in weapon range, but with the green/red mark of the line, so you can easily spot which obstacle is in the fire-line.

What do you think?
bishop

PS:
In BI:TAW you could activate the overlay either by hovering the mouse over your unit, or by pushing the ALT key (you could set this in the options)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:48:10 pm by bishop »

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: UI Overlay as in BI:TAW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:16 pm »
VERY nice!