project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: IR-goggles  (Read 10198 times)

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
IR-goggles
« on: June 25, 2010, 07:38:22 pm »

I have already been wondering about the nightvision goggles in the last version:

Supposingly they may have a negative impact on accuracy and peripheral vision ... Now is that disadvantage given immediately once a soldier wears those goggles? Or is it just once he uses the "scan" ... ?

How do you all handle the spotting of aliens at night?

Offline Jarkill

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: IR-goggles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:09:15 am »
I'm not sure IR goggles have been implemented yet.

The last I heard, you were supposed to equip them in your hand and use the "scan" ability to see through walls, but I'm not sure if that even works. Wearing them on your head supposedly does nothing (mind you, I heard this a long time ago).

Also - when you say NVG, do you mean IR? Because while NVG uses infra-red the goggles in this game are different judging from the scan-see through light objects thing (which doesn't even work, both in the game and in real life I believe)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:20:34 am »
I'm not sure IR goggles have been implemented yet.

it is implemented, you can use it on headgear, it takes TU to use it like using any item.

-geever

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:04:24 am »
Also - when you say NVG, do you mean IR?
Yes.

it is implemented, you can use it on headgear, it takes TU to use it like using any item.
You seem to know your way with those things ... So what about those drawbacks for accuracy and peripheral view?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:59:46 am »
You seem to know your way with those things ... So what about those drawbacks for accuracy and peripheral view?

I think they're not implemented.

-geever

Offline Jarkill

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
On an unrelated note, the description of IR Goggles states that they are "one handed"

Can they still actually be used in one hand?

Offline Outlawstar15a2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:58:05 am »
First you need to understand the difference of night vision technology and infra red technology in real life:

Night Vision goggles basically takes the ambient light from your surroundings and magnifies it by filtering it through a image intensifier so that the environment appears brighter then it actually is. It does not allow you to see through walls. It tends to be put through a green filter since the color green is scientifically the easiest color for the Human eye to make out at night.

Infra red technology takes a heat signature (tank engine, Human body, a open flame) and maps the black body radiation given off by said object. The hotter the object the brighter it's IR signature is due to the fact that it is emitting more and more black body radiation. This is what is called a thermograph. Objects viewed through a IR system tend to be thrown against a black background though military grade IR systems may use a green-light green setup instead as it's easier to see. It is possible to see objects through walls and other obstructions if the heat signature from the target bleeds through the environment.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:00:04 am by Outlawstar15a2 »

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:06 am »
On an unrelated note, the description of IR Goggles states that they are "one handed"

Can they still actually be used in one hand?

In?  They use a headgear slot, but you definitely don't need both hands empty to use them -- you can be holding a weapon (including those that can be carried but not used one-handed, like laser rifles) in one hand and still scan.  You just need 12 TUs that you haven't already reserved, and to be facing the direction you want to scan as it's not 360.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:19:42 am »
For me, it works, but it lets me see only a specific area, such as alien ship large, but only the floor you are on.

Offline Causley

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »
For me, it works, but it lets me see only a specific area, such as alien ship large, but only the floor you are on.

Really? For me, it's regulary spotting things on lower and higher floors. It seems to have a vision cone of something like 140 degrees left and right and the same up and down.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:30:18 pm »
Maybe...

Offline nonickch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:19 am »
The code for shooting makes no mention of goggles when it's actually making the shot itself.
So I'm 99% certain that it has absolutely no effect on accuracy

Offline ponkan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »
From the git webclient, which I'm guessing is the current dev version:

Code: [Select]
  78         weapon_mod irgoggles
  79         {
  80                 firedef
  81                 {
  82                         name    "_Scan"
  83                         firesnd weapons/irgoggles
  84                         splrad  10
  85                         range   9.5
  86                         time    12
  87                         shots   1
  88                         irgoggles       true
  89                 }

Looks like the effect covers a radius of 10, centered either 9.5 spaces away in the direction faced, or the first wall/obstacle that's 9.5 spaces or fewer away, depending on exactly how the irgoggles effect is coded. Anybody able to chime in from experience or coding knowledge?

Ildamos

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 04:02:44 am »
Whoa. It works now? How do you know it works? Greater LOS? I equipped IR googgles, used one but never noticed any difference.