project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New here. Want to help  (Read 26725 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New here. Want to help
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:52 am »
You're fast :)

Some leg protectors on the combat armor might be nice. Legs look a bit exposed.

Power armor mesh looks amazing.

Gotta look into Z-brush myself a bit.

Also, could you put the 3D Max scene (or armor mesh) up for download? I want to use it as reference.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 11:57:46 am »
wow - very nice job.

btw. keep in mind that the meshes must be splitted into head and body part and that we need tags (see the existing max files in the data_source/models folder)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:18 am »
...which reminds me - please upload the textures and the source max file

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »
Lower tech powered armor concept.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oppinions?

edit: udated pic

Looking good, just a few small points:

1. Having open eyes seems a little too primitive, the game being set in 2084. Can you close them up with some kind of visor arrangement?

2. Can you create some kind of servo framework to connect the suit's legs and arms to its torso?

The nanocomposite looks fantastic, by the way!

Regards,
Winter

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
The 3 3d models look phantastic. Top Job there ! I cannot find anything I do not like there ;) Would really like to test those on the battlefield soon ;)

The 'Lower Tech Powered Armor' concept however somehow does not look like it would follow the golden ratio proportions...
IMHO he looks a bit too fat & the thighs seem to be too short compared to the lower legs ?! His head seams to be to small compared to the rest of the body & his shoulders could be wider, but this is just personal opinion...

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 03:57:05 pm »
thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the models.

@Winter

About the visor: Yes no problem.

About Exoskeleton: Yes seems i forgot that part :P

@MCR You are correct, i managed to fuck those legs up good. I think the proportion problems are mainly due to his "Gut" armor and massive armored diaper :P.
He is basically a paintover of the nanocomposite sketch so proportions are more or less the same, +/- armor.
That being said the other sketches probably arent accurate either.

the sketches are mainly to give myself a sense of direction, and finding out what you guys are looking for.

I feel i have a pretty good idea now where im going with the powered armor, so im going to start modelling soon(ish).

@Trashman & Mattn

Will upload what i have when the power armor and composite are done. Where should i upload them to?

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 05:55:20 am »
The models look amazing.

The only thing I'd change is the should pad on the powered armor (the one on the right). It looks like it's almost in two pieces, with a gap between these two sections, but they are still connected by a thin piece of continuous material, instead of a hinge or such. I guess they could only be connected by flexible fabric, but that seems weird given there appears to be a solid exoskeleton, hard joint and motor around the elbow, while the shoulder is left unaugmented and forced to support that extra weight.

Just a thought anyway.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 11:47:49 am »
Thanks for understanding my critique, I just wanted to point that out, before you start using those concept-proportions for designing the real model ;)

btw, Origin, it seems that those are not your first models ;), so if you also have some old models of yours we could use as civilians, those could also help us a lot. There are ambitious plans regarding the civilian population, but those are lacking a big variety of civilian models of all kinds of different ethnic groups in the first place.

Also, Origin, please check out this link & try this tool, if you do not know it, I gurantee you WILL be amazed at least (if not euphoric):

www.makehuman.org

This tool will allow us to create a big variety of high quality models from all kinds of ethnic groups in a very short time (see attached screenies of some heads I made [all credits go to makehuman, as using this tool is no art & everyone can produce hq (naked) models with it]). It is open source software & seems to be like 'designed for our project' ;)

So here is the link to check out the latest ready-to-install versions for you: http://mh.jwp.se/builds.php
Check out the nightly builds as those are most advanced, do not fear the alpha version as it is VERY stable (never had a crash with it).

Greetinx.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:32 am »
btw. did you upload the sources somewhere already (the max files and the texture sources)? i would like to add them to the data_source svn already. even if not yet 100% finished. you can also send them via mail to me or upload them somewhere like rapidshare or some other hoster. thanks a lot.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
Wow, really nice work. Nothing to add, just looking forward to seeing the final products.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 04:04:06 am »
@Origin:  I don't know what your email notifications are set to for this forum, but I've sent you a PM.  I forgot to mention in that message though - if you do choose to email the models (out of the options I listed in that message on where to upload), please also send a CC to Mattn - his email address is listed in his profile IIRC.

Once I get anything you send, I'll gladly add it to the project SVN data_source.

Thanks,

-Destructavator

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:56 pm »
For anyone who's wondering, the first batch of files are now in the SVN:

http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai?view=revision&revision=31000

@Origin:  I'll check the upload FTP folder I provided periodically, and transfer files to the SVN as they come in.  BTW, When you make new stuff and have screenshots and previews, just post them in the forum openly, so all of the team can see them.  To clarify (since you're new):  Mattn is the boss in charge of UFO: AI, Winter is in charge of Artwork (You can certainly expect to hear more from him), Vedrit does animation work with models, and I myself do various things ranging from music to modeling to animation to other stuff (Jack of all trades, master of none).  We also have plenty of other developers here who you may hear from (quite a list, I couldn't think of all of them off the top of my head).

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »
Thanks for the rundown. I will definately be posting images when new models get done.

Will be af few weeks before anything gets done though :)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 11:40:14 pm »
Thanks for the rundown. I will definately be posting images when new models get done.

Will be af few weeks before anything gets done though :)

No problem - UFO: AI is, after all, a spare time project for most of us.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 11:39:36 am »
Another point, we need to know the license you want to release your work. The project need open source license, like CC-by-SA or GPL... i think most of the content now is "CC-by-SA 3.0" and "GPL 2.0 or later" (http://static.ufo.ludwigf.org/html/index.html). With it, we can use your work on the game, but more than that, people from the project can rework your content without problem. If you need more info, sure, you can send me a PM.