project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Rocket Launcher  (Read 37933 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Rocket Launcher
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
I am not sure how and where these will appear in game. So the color saturation might be important for making them distinguishable at a distance in low light for example. Or it could still be too much.

I definitely think the saturation should stay the same for the ammo. The differentiation will be useful. You'll have to look at the launcher in-game to decide whether to adjust the diffuse texture, since I always notice that things come out looking slightly different there.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2010, 07:40:41 pm »
Why has noone integrated this great new models in-game ?  ::)

Just tested latest git version & still we have the old (ugly) rocket launcher there.
Could someone with some md2 weapon knowledge & write access please integrate this new model ?

I think this would also be a motivation for Flying Steel to continue contributing new models, but maybe I'm wrong !!!

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »
I can do it if i get the 3d files in obj format.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
The source file of the rocket launcher is a Blender (.blend) file. I did not find the 3d file for the ammo though.

All the files are in data_source/models/flyingsteel or here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=5013.msg40712#msg40712.

It would be great if you could look @ that issue. Replacing the old launcher would be a first step, we can take care of the ammo later.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
Another thing, because you also working on animation, if you can create a "stand_nameofthisweapon" animation for the actor and this weapon it can be very usefull. The engine do not support it (or dont care about that animation name), but i would like to work on that aspect. Other big gun can need custom anim, but this one is the biggest :-)

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »
Okay here is the model in obj format (attached to this post).

@MCR

Actually all the source models are in the one blend file, but on different layers. Even the unfinished guided missile launcher.

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 10:00:12 pm »
Thanks. Getting it done tomorrow :)

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:28 pm »
Cool, I very much appreciate it.

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »
Should work, though I think the md2's still need to be compiled for correct lighting. (textures might be too bright after this, they were really dark when I tested so i upped brightness 25% for all diffuse textures.)
Edited textures a little to make them stand out more from afar, and I havent tested the normals or specular maps in game, since they dont seem to work for me :(

All textures are 512x512 for now, though ammo probably only need 256.

structure and model names set up to replace the old rpg for now.

Would appreciate if someone with working normal maps could post some ingame shots :)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38:59 am »
Side note: you can work with PNG; is the exporter generate this TGA files? or another constaints?

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:03 am »
I used tga because i cant save pngs with an alpha channel, wich is needed for specular maps.
Feel free to convert them to png's though, I didnt save alpha channels so just wasting space right now :P
I will try to keep files that dont need alpha channels as png in the future.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »
PNG support alpha chanel (as level of transparency) if you dont use indexed color (that's for example the big difference between GIF and PNG). If you start a new document with a full transparent background, you should have it by default, else there is option to add it (at least i see it in Gimp and Photoshop).

Anyway it is not very important, i only ask it to know if it is a exporter output (then there is way to fix it).

Offline Origin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »
Yea its not a exporter problem or anything :)
Is there a way to manipulate the transparency channel in a png seperately?, I dont see how its possible to work with it, exept for ...transparency related stuff :P

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »
At least in Gimp you can transfer the alpha channel into a seperate mask, which you can then modify directly.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »
With Photoshop u have a channel panel, u can uncheck R, G, B and select Alpha. Then u can paint/paste content (http://img.colorps.us/colorps/100811/canales.jpg). Or unselect Alpha to not display transparent layer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:29:08 pm by bayo »