project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction Fire  (Read 27343 times)

Offline queue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction Fire
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »
So there is no way to insert those lines into the respective files on an already installed (and loaded with savegames) version?

I hardly know anything about programming (or what a source actually is for that matter)
but won't the scripts for RF have to be somewhere?
Source code is the program in a (barely) human readable form, but not readable for the cpu. The program has to be compiled to machine readable instructions and then linked to all other instructions it may need.
The result is a binary file (ufo.exe for windows), which is not longer readable by (sane) humans AND is machine specific. One can not add or replace parts easily, because every byte is addressed by its exact position in the file. And RF logic is in the exe file.

I can compile the source code for my system (Ubuntu Linux 64bit with Intel Core 2 Quad cpu), but the result (which don't have a file name ending like exe) is unlikely to work on any other machine, not even an any other standard Ubuntu installation. I am not experienced enough to produce a binary, which will run on most machines, or even other operating systems like windows.

There are programming languages (like typical 'scripts') which are not compiled, but interpreted line after line to machine instructions on the fly. This is much slower (can be 100 times slower) and inefficient, not suitable for the core functions of a complex game like UFO:AI. So, no simple scripts to replace here.

Offline Khane

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 03:19:57 am »
Couldn't you just post the modified files so we could copy/paste them over the bugged ones? I'm not terribly familiar with how the code for UFOAI is laid out, but I'd think that if the fix is as small as you've implied you could just post the few files that were changed for people to use.

Offline queue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »
I did, exactly that is the diff file, I posted.
You can open it with any text editor, it contains the file name, line number, old content and new content of every change.
But that are source code files, if you have installed the game the usual way, you don't have them. And you can do nothing with them anyway.

You have probably a ufo.exe, which you double click to run the game. All changes have to be in this file, but I can not produce it for you.

Offline battles_atlas

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:00 am »
Wow when I started this thread a few weeks ago there were barely any replies so I gave up, and the annoyance of RF was one of the reasons I stopped playing. Full kudos for your alterations queue. This coding stuff is beyond me but hopefully the UFO team will implement it or something similar at some point, and I'll pick it up again.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 08:41:15 am »
we hope to get this applied to trunk and 2.3 soon.

Ildamos

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:21 am »
Has this been implemented already in Muton's Aug 16 update? (http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2830.585)

Please give us updates about RF changes. I would like to play this game again when RF is fixed.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 09:34:09 pm »
"Queued = qtrue" didn't compile for me.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 11:32:14 pm »
I think it was applied to trunk revision 31375 a while ago, dont know about 2.3 tough

Ildamos

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:48 pm »
I think it was applied to trunk revision 31375 a while ago, dont know about 2.3 tough

Somebody should. There's just something missing if you play a game and one of its major features is severely bugged as queue explained (an elaboration that Mattn in one way or another confirmed by saying

we hope to get this applied to trunk and 2.3 soon.
).

If it isn't bugged it's severely flawed IMHO. Hope this gets fixed soon. Can't wait to review this game.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »
Does changing the source without recompiling work?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 01:06:48 pm »
Does changing the source without recompiling work?

Changing the 'C' sourcecode without recompiling is the same as you didn't change it.
If you only changed ufoscripts you don't need to recompile.

-geever

Ildamos

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 09:45:47 am »
Any news regarding Reaction Fire in v2.3?

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 05:28:56 pm »
I don't think so. Unfortunately, i can't check, since my computer broke. Fortunately, i can use a weak computer only to surf the net.

Ildamos

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:44 am »
Ah. Durn. :(

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »
can you tell me one thing? why in post #25 there was a team 7??? why not 2, 3, etc??